89 GMC 4x4, reverse lights

Hey Guys

There is no power getting back to my reverse lights. I used a test light. They just stopped working one day. My Haines manual talks about the neutral safety switch responsible for doing the job of alluminating the reverse lights.

They dont show a picture of the part, but they talk about it being adjustable. They say its on the steering column, but make replacing it sound like a big ordeal(steering wheel off,column apart, etc).

When I look under the dash, at the base of the steering column, I see a white plastic part that seems adjustable, with an electrical plug. I fiddled with the adjustments to no avail.

Finally,if you're still reading,my question is:Is that the part thats causing the problem?Why arent my reverse lights working?

Thanx

Reply to
snay

Does it look something like this? I just happened to have a column in the basement. This is the thing you describe and it is the backup switch on my 1982 Chevy 4x4

Sometimes this can be kicked by accident and made loose or it can even come off. I have never had success putting it back on without removing the column first for some reason. If it is not mounted securely it will not work at all.

Each side should have a separate ground so perhaps there is a fuse problem? Likely the backup light and the signal lights are still on the same fuse. They used to be in 1981-87.

- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl