Re: Whats the differance between the XUD7 and XUD9?

Hi,

Whats the differance between the XUD7 and XUD9?

Ah, YES ! At least a request I can answer :-)

The XUD7 is from the XUD well-know, quite powerful, bulletproof family of engines, a great demonstration of how a Diesel should be, thanks to the state-of-the-art engineering provided, once again, by Peugeot. The most noticeable difference is the 3mm tore between the XUD7 and the XUD9. XUD7 : 80*88 ; XUD9 : 83*88. A statistic analysis of the XUD7/9 engines show that, in 1983 they offered exactly the same specific power (expressed in kW/l). The head may well be a bit different, too, and so could be the Diesel injection pressure. However, the headlines of these pressures should be almost identical, i.e 130 bars for Bosch, 115 for Roto (then Lucas, now Delphi) @+/-5b. Note that nominal compression ratio is the same (22:1)..

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

you rock, GT

Reply to
mindwipe

i second that!

Reply to
Marc

Happy to be of help :)

Hmm I understood so much of that :? Does that mean they are of roughly the same power (BHP and Torque)?

Also would the turbo editions be roughly the same power as well? I?m slowly sorting out an upgrade from a standard aspiration to a turbo and the XUD7T would probably go in more easily than the XUD9T or XUD9TE. I wouldn?t mind the 2.5 but it would probably mess up the balance of the car :( If it even fits.

How do you fit an intercooler to the XUD7T? is it fairly straight forward?

Reply to
Streltsky

Hi Jeff, hi Marc,

I'll answer once for you :-)

Come on, I really wanted to stack adjectives in the same sentence and use the "state of the art" expression, even if I'm almost sure it brought some mistakes :-)

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Hi,

Yes. The first version of the XUD9 was able of 65HP, this giving 47.8kW and briging to 47800/1.905=25.113kW/l, while the XUD7 (60HP) gives

44.1kW/1.769=24.963kW/l, so it's about the same. Note that the next version of the XUD9 (87-, IIRC) gave 70HP, so it wasa bit different.

As I had some time to spend on this, I made a tiny spreadsheet with Excel, I pasted below : Engine XUD7 XUD7T XUD7TE XUD9 XUD9T XUD9TE Capacity (cc) 1769 1769 1769

1905 1905 1905 Power (DIN HP) 60 78 90 65 83 92 Power (W) 44160 57408 66240 47840 61088 67712 Specific power (DIN HP/l) 33,917 44,093 50,876 34,121 43,570 48,294 Specific power (kW/l) 24,963 32,452 37,445 25,113 32,067 35,544 (all calculated values rounded at 10^-3, which should be enough :-) ).

Yup. Although the XUD9T should fit straight in.

The 2.5 is the DK5TE, IIRC, and is slightly different. But if you stick to XUD7TE (405Mk1 for example) you'd have 90HP in a 950kg car, which should fit your needs for power :-)

HTH, G.T snipped-for-privacy@worldonline.fr

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

i don't know for other country's than holland ( and a bit france for that matter) over here we got shell with their V-power diesel, BP with their ultimate, and Total with their excellence, which al have some sort of LPG derived additive in it and are better refined ( as in point refinement rather than classic traject refinement) all of these give me in my 406 HDi ( DW10 lump ) a better fuel economy as to the normal

1200km to a refill ( 75 liters) 1L/16KM to a mere 1300km on a refill which is on average 1L to 17.5 KM, these figures improve dramatically on moterway's during low traffic , not often the case in holland... but i have had fuel figures of 1/20 during night time and 1/21 on HQ fuel

economy drops to 1/15 with noname brands they sell @ the discount stores around amsterdam

and than again it all depends on the weight of my right foot cause speeding drops economy to 1/10 no matter what fuel you put in.....

cheers

Reply to
Marc