92 Tahoe-gas gauge problem

A friend has a 92 Tahoe. The gas gauge is inaccurate...when it shows 1/4 tank, it is actually close to empty.

What is the cause and how can this be fixed?

Reply to
Bevo71

Correction..the friend just told me he has a 2002 Tahoe, not a 92 Tahoe. Same problem, though.

Reply to
Bevo71

Unhook the sender unit, and hook up a meter. It should read 0-90 ohms with a more or less linear swing between full and empty.

If that checks out, then it's a bad connection between the sender and gauge, or the gauge itself (least likely!).

Reply to
John Craker

Not positive but I think the sender and float are one item on the Tahoe/Suburban. Just had one done on an old 99 Suburban and it cost over $300 at the dealer. I think the part itself is around $150 retail. TPBeach

Reply to
TPBeach