93 Chev 1 ton G van problems(brakes and glow plugs)

Folks: Just acquired this truck and am having the following problems with which I need your help.

I am a pretty good DIYer, btw.

When the brake pedal is depressed there is a violent shudder from the right front wheel. I took off the wheel and the caliper works fine, lots of pad left and not frozen as I had expected. I suspect the ABS sensor on that wheel is not working properly. How is it removed or cleaned??

I think I may have found the location of the control unit and plan to disconnect it to check my theory.

On a cold start it smokes terribly for a few minutes. I suspect a few of the glow plugs are not working. What are the specs to check them, and do I use an ohm meter?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
Doug Quance

As for the smoking, it *may* be normal - what color is the smoke?

My dad had a brand-new '96 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins and whenever he'd start it up, it'd billow grey smoke for a couple of minutes (till it warmed up enough to stop blowing oil out the tailpipe). Did it from day one.

Brakes - check for warped rotor, bad control arm bushings, and umm....i'll add anything else I can think of later...

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Don't bother checking the glow plugs just replace them all. They cost something like $10 each but I have seen them go bad and you would swear they were ok. Tell tale for glow plugs is white smoke on start-up and a miss that smoothes out with in 30 or so seconds but when the temps are over 90 deg there is no smoke and starts smoothly. Can't help you with the ABS you may have a bad sensor wire I have heard they fray and short over time.

good luck, mark

Reply to
rock_doctor