94 K1500 no low range

94 K1500 Silverado. Put it in low range yesterday to pull a tree. First time in low in years. It goes into low, the 4x4 indicator lights come on, but the front axle isn't getting any power.

Works fine in 4 high. 4 low worked fine the last time I used it. Suggestions??

Bill

Reply to
BillM

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Hmmm--OK, but it engages fine in 4 high. Isn't the front axle actuator on a 94 electric?

Bill

Reply to
BillM

Yes...the other poster is thinking of an S-10 type rig..

Reply to
Augustus

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups---= - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Reply to
Shep

Electronic shift transfer case or manual shift? If it's electronic the transfer case actuator may be binding. If it hasn't been used in a while try shifting it a few times and see if it clears up, could just be some crud on the switch on the encoder not telling the front axle to engage.

You are shifting it into low with the transmission in neutral?

Reply to
Steve W.

"Steve W." wrote in message news:g3mljv$nnb$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org...

Manual shift. It goes into 4L, but only drives the rear wheels. The indicator light for the front axle engage comes on, and I thought that worked off of a switch on the actual engage fork. Starting to think it's internal, but I've never seen one before that would drive the front in 4H but not in 4L. Nothing crunching/growling/knocking at all---just no power going to the front in 4L.

Bill

Reply to
BillM

that year used a coil heated oil to move the axels together. often faile and should be replaced with 1999 ?? or?? which uses a coil driven plunger to lick the axels. it was 110 dollars including cable, and took about 1/2 hor to install. easy fix and it always engaged. old oil type would fail to heat and expand oil when cold old john

Hello, BillM! You wrote on Sun, 22 Jun 2008 13:37:19 GMT:

B> Works fine in 4 high. 4 low worked fine the B> last time I used it. Suggestions??

With best regards, snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
<ajeeperman

| > Electronic shift transfer case or manual | > shift? | > If it's electronic the transfer case actuator | > may be binding. If it hasn't been used in a | > while try shifting it a few times and see if | > it clears up, could just be some crud on the | > switch on the encoder not telling the front | > axle to engage. | >

| > You are shifting it into low with the | > transmission in neutral? | >

| > -- | > Steve W. | | Manual shift. It goes into 4L, but only drives | the rear wheels. The indicator light for the | front axle engage comes on, and I thought that | worked off of a switch on the actual engage | fork. | Starting to think it's internal, but I've never | seen one before that would drive the front in 4H | but not in 4L. Nothing | crunching/growling/knocking at all---just no | power going to the front in 4L. | | Bill |

Sounds like a broken shift fork. There are 2 in there.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle