Fuel pump story

In September 2005, I was planning a trip of about 5000 miles. My 99 Silverado had about 92k miles and I was concerned that chevy fuel pumps generally last about 100k miles. I posted the question about should I change the fuel pump in anticipation of it going bad, or just drive it until it left me afoot. A couple of answers were to just drive until it quits. I cut a hole in the bed for access to the pump. I bought a pump and stored it under the back seat. A couple of days ago, I was 20 miles north of Tulsa and it died. I have 204k miles on the original fuel pump. It was changed in a few minutes and I didn't even get to my dictionary of cuss words. Thanks for reading!

Reply to
George

I hope the hole was still accessible!

Reply to
PerfectReign

Will you put a replacement behind the seat again?

Reply to
samstone

I doubt this truck will last until 300k miles. It depends on circumstances. In a truck, you can drop the tank, lift the bed, or cut a hole in the bed. I would recommend this method for any vehicle if it provides access to the pump, and the hole can be covered with a panel the way I did my truck. Other parts can break and leave me afoot, but I was especially worried about the fuel pump. They very seldom sputter and let you get home with it. They are priced as if they are made of gold and labor is high. I bought mine on EBay for about a third of the cost of a new one. I saved the tow bill and labor so for me, this was worth it. Once, I was on a trip, and the fan belt tensioner came apart. Of course I didn't have a spare (I still don't) but I got a ride to town and bought one. It was a ten minute repair. There's no way to carry a spare for everything. I have a first aid kit, road reflectors, fuses, and my old fan belt. The manufacturer gave me a spare tire. I've used it twice. All of this is just my story. Maybe I was a little crazy for carrying a fuel pump around for all this time. Maybe not. . . .

Reply to
George