96 Silverado 4x4 : Major turn signal problem

This is strange,

1st symptom : odometer light was intermittent

then about a week later. Left turn signal will not blink when the head lights are off. While the head lights are off and the turn signal is in the left turn position , a press of the break pedal causes all the dash lights to dim. When the truck is shut off WHILE the break is depressed the head light warning light sounds until you take your foot off the break. and sounds as soon as you depress the pedal again. The right signal is working fine.

My mechanic can not figure it out and say to take it to the dealer.

all the obvious has been checked. ect... bulbs, wires.

does this sound familiar with anyone?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan

Reply to
Dan White

its a 99 not a 96

Reply to
Dan White

Had a problem similar to this on my 94 dually Silverado and I got some of what you are experiencing and some other stuff. My problem turned out to be in my fifth wheel trailer towing harness. It had gotten salt and crap right inside it and was causing some weird electrical faults. The dealer removed it and the problem was gone. Had no need for the fifth wheel anymore so I left it off. Never had a problem again. Dealer didn't charge me a dime for this extraction so I considered myself lucky.

Hope you get along alright.

Blair

Reply to
Blair

Thanks for the info. Mine seems to have healed itself. Time will tell

Dan

Reply to
Dan White

My wifes 2000 Bucik Regal had similar problems. Believe it or not it was a faulty ignition switch.

I was a perplexed as you were, but after giving up looking myself took it to a dealer who found the problem in less than 15 minutes.

Reply to
RHinNC

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be keeping all the advice tucked away for later use. (lol)

Dan

Reply to
Dan White