97 Blazer ignition lock

The key in my blazer seems to not want to go all the way to lock some of the time. Its seems if it is over about 45 its fine, but I live in Indiana so we can still see snow in May. Any suggests?

Thanks

Reply to
Aaron Ping

When the key sticks next time, look under the steering column cover for the small cover plug on the bottom right. Pop that cover out and use a pen/pencil or similar item to push up on the plunger you will see sticking down. If the key rotates fine then you have a problem with the interlock system. The plunger is the armature of the interlock solenoid that prevents you from turning the key without pushing the brake in. It also prevents you from turning the key all the way into the lock position while the engine is running with the vehicle in gear.

Two ways to repair it. One is to replace the solenoid itself (testing method is in the service manual to determine if it's faulty) OR you can do what most people do and just remove it, and not try to shut the engine off while driving!

Either way you remove the cover from around the column. You can take it off alone without taking any other covers off. the solenoid is easily found next to the key cylinder. It has one screw holding it in place and one wire connector. Don't knock the key in switch out while your there unless you like hearing the chime ALL the time.

Reply to
Steve W.