97 GMC Jimmy heater fan

I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy. The heater fan quit working. I checked the fuses and they were ok. When I switch the fan setting from medium to high, I can hear a clicking sound coming from a small box inside the engine compartment near the firewall, so I am assuming the switch is ok. I wonder if the fan blower motor went bad, or maybe a relay or something is bad ? Any suggestions ? Thanks Jamie

Reply to
Sanstar

Unplug the blower motor and run a wire from your Battery hot side to the blower. Hold the wire in your hands and just touch both ends if the motor runs without to much fire jumping around hold it and see if it gets warm.If it gets hot or does not run then it should be the blower motor. BECAREFUL not to start a fire. Wayne

Reply to
EW

If your sucussfully pull that one off...Look at the connector to the motor..if it looks good pull the blower moduel which is next to the fan its probly burt up.... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

I have a similar problem on a 91 GMC. When I went in to get a new contoller, the parts guy at the dealer said they don't go often (not the story at the auto wrecker) but the heater resistor block next to the blower motor is often the culprit (only $25). But its hard to get to. Do you have any tips on how to replace this thing?

Re: 97 GMC Jimmy heater fan

If your sucussfully pull that one off...Look at the connector to the motor..if it looks good pull the blower moduel which is next to the fan its probly burt up.... Steve C

Reply to
Ian
1997 GMC Jimmy. The heater fan quit working. I checked the fuses and they were ok. When I switch the fan setting from medium to high, I can hear a clicking sound coming from a small box inside the engine compartment near the firewall, so I am assuming the switch is ok. I wonder if the fan blower motor went bad, or maybe a relay or something is bad ? Any suggestions ? Thanks Jamie Unplug the blower motor and run a wire from your Battery hot side to the blower. Hold the wire in your hands and just touch both ends if the motor runs without to much fire jumping around hold it and see if it gets warm.If it gets hot or does not run then it should be the blower motor. BECAREFUL not to start a fire. Wayne If your sucussfully pull that one off...Look at the connector to the motor..if it looks good pull the blower moduel which is next to the fan its probly burt up.... Steve C

There are 3 5.5mm screws that hold it in....The fron 2 are easy to get to but the one in the rear may be a pain....So get it down far enough to get the module out....The its easy to get it the rest of the way out...All you need to do then is just use the 2 front screws ....If you have to sometime its easier to remove the fan kinda give you alittle more room...But there are no tricks you just have to mess with it untill itcomes out.... Steve C

Reply to
Steve Cook

Answered own question. Trick was to see the schematic from the dealer, rather than Haynes or Chilton. The dealer's schematic showed the resistor block sitting on top of the heater assembly near and not immediately behind the blower motor.

Reply to
Ian