Advice on towing

In order to move my 1964 VW Karmann Ghia about 1200 kms (750 miles) I am going to have to tow it on a car hauler, the car hauler weighs 2000 lbs and the car weighs 1500 lbs for a total of about 3500 lbs. My truck is a 98 K1500, 3.73 gears, 18,000 GVW trans cooler, trailer package. Factory manual states the max tow capacity is 6000 lbs.

My question is this; on the flat can I tow in OD, or just leave it in 3rd and put some tape over the tach? I will be crossing the Rockies where obviously 3rd will be used.

OD is OK to use provided the transmission does not do the 4-3-4-3 shuffle, and the converter locks up and stays locked (except up minor hills or passing)

if it starts shuffling or the converter stays unlocked, put it in '3'

you might want to have a fluid and filter change before you go, also

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer