Hitch motorcycle rack on Ford Ranger

Does anyone have any thoughts on using a tounge mounted rack for carrying a motorcycle on a 2004 Ford Ranger Super Cab XLT FXII 4x4?

The companies that makes the racks (Versa Haul and Hitch Haul are 2 of them) claim that the rack can hold up to 500 lbs. But I'm not sure if the hitch can handle that much weight. My bike weighs 404 lbs., the rack wieghs about 86 lbs.

This is a factory installed 2 inch hitch, labeled V-5 Tounge Weight Weight Distributing - 600 lbs Weight carrying - 350 lbs

Tow Weight Weight Distributing - 6000 lbs Weight Carrying - 3500 lbs

I think that the # that I need to consider is the tounge carrying weight of 350, which means I am out of luck. But I am not sure what the "Weight Distributing" rating means.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan M.

Reply to
dan m

You are right about the tongue carrying weight being the figure of interest. "Weight Distributing" is allowable tongue weight if you have a compensating hitch (I can't remember the proper name) setup. Since the hitch has to carry the weight of the bike plus the bracket you're limited to 350 - 86 or a bike that weighs no more than 264 lb.

Get a bike trailer. No way are those hitch mounted things safe to use with even a 400lb bike. Maybe a 250lb dirt bike. If money's a problem buy one of the cheap Harbor Freight 4x8 utility trailers and fit some sort of wheel chock to it. The model with the bigger tires is better.

?Itemnumber=90154

Mark Olson