update on ghost driver

I still have a 1979 surburban 1500 4 wheel drive with a steering problem. I think i've isolated the problem( jerking suddenly to the left and right). It seems that after i've made a turn especially a 90 degree turn at low speed the pulling to the one side then the other starts.Is it possible the steering gear being worn is causing this? I've checked the stabliizer arm ,and its still bolted firmly in snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Reply to
DIONYSUS

If you're calling the steering damper a stablizing arm,then you have'nt really checked it.(it is a horizontally mounted shock absorber,with one end attached to the tie rod and the other end tothe frame).Undo one end and see if there is resistance to pushing and pulling on it.If not,replace it.That will stop the "dance" the the truck is doing. Ed

Reply to
Desert Ed

Reply to
DIONYSUS

My '86 K5 also does this exact same thing. I replaced the steering damper, but to no avail. It does it after making a sharp turn while taking off, then the steering wheel doesn't want to "return to center". I have to keep pressure on it to go straight. Then, all the sudden it "snaps" to the other side of center, causing a swerve. I've double checked the ball joints, new tie rod ends, alignment, and steering damper for binding and free play. I'm about ready to replace the steering box. Does anyone know if a box from a '75 K10 would fit?

Thanks, Jeremy

Reply to
highrider71

You guy's are looking in the wrong place ,,,,,,,,, it has nothing to do with the steering gear........ its the universal joints in the front axle's that are seized or begining to any way. When you turn the steering, the u- joint has to move and if its screwed it will stick in the turned position and not let the wheel return to center. Had it happen on many 4x4s with solid front axles

Reply to
dave

I think it very well could be your hubs. I had the very same problem and it turned out that it was the hubs (locking in and out, causing the axle shafts to turn, therefore causing the steering to pull to whatever side the hub was locked in). May not be the case, but I had the exact same problem.

John

Reply to
JWH

Wheel bearings? 79 hubs would be manual locking hubs......engaged or not. Universal joints as mentioned below also good possibility.

JWH wrote:

x-- 100 Proof News -

3,500+ Binary NewsGroups, and over 90,000 other groupsx-- Access to over 800 Gigs/Day - $8.95/Monthx-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
ttalk_nod

Reply to
DIONYSUS

I guess I overlooked this fact, but it does make sense. When U-joints go bad, they often dry out and almost seize up. Especially the ones at the outer ends of the front axle. Ex: If you were to remove a front axle with a seized U-joint, it would be very difficult to move around. Given that, every time you turn the front wheels, you also have to bend the U-joint. When turning sharp, it goes into a bind, then takes a bit more movement to free it up. Reminder, if your hubs are not locked, that shaft is floating. When the joint gets near straight, the shaft can rotate suddenly 180deg causing the steering to pull in the other direction. I will check mine out, and see if they are bad, and will let you know if/when I replace them.

highrider

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net >

Reply to
highrider71

Reply to
DIONYSUS

Sorry for the late reply. Check the u-joints on the front axles. Had a similar prob on my "87 K5.

Reply to
JR

Reply to
DIONYSUS

Had similar problem on a '78 K5 Blazer; great truck rest his soul (was a male truck) with a 427. Unfortunately Plowing in New England and dunkings in the ocean ate it up.

I too replaced all of the usual suspects in order to "tighten up" the front end. Sure each replacement was better than the last until I read an article in Four Wheeler magazine, and purchased a "Hit Man" alignment machine. Spot on let me tell you this thing is great for the solid front axles of lore.

The key is to toe-in as the wheels tend to roll outward at speed, a good alignment guy can do this for you, kind of like the 75 year old guy I know who still repairs copper-brass radiators.

Once in a while you have to give up the ghost!

Have a great one!

Bush

1952 GMC stepside longbed 2001 GMC Z-71 SLT 5.3 with the Goodies 2004 GMC 2500 HD Dmax/Ally with the Goodies on order

BTW, MTBE is >I still have a 1979 surburban 1500 4 wheel drive with a steering

Reply to
Duane Smith

I just had the same problem on a 85 Ranger. It too was the axle u-joints after replacing everything else. Next time I'll ask here. The ford truck newsgroup people didn't help.

Reply to
CigManXFls
~

update on ghost driver Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Tue, Sep 30, 2003, 1:10am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (DIONYSUS) I still have a 1979 surburban 1500 4 wheel drive with a steering problem. I think i've isolated the problem( jerking suddenly to the left and right). It seems that after i've made a turn especially a 90 degree turn at low speed the pulling to the one side then the other starts.Is it possible the steering gear being worn is causing this? I've checked the stabliizer arm ,and its still bolted firmly in place....

snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com ~~~~~ ~~~~~ Dionysus,

I've read the thread to date.....

let me ask.....

Have you replaced ANYTHING other than the steering damper?

Have you done ANYTHING at all to the truck, on the frontend??

Marsh Monster ~try'n to help~ `

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Reply to
DIONYSUS

My 1991 K1500 did the same thing, but only to the left...turns out that I had a cv joint about to explode, and it was "locking up" causing the steering wheel to attempt to jump out of my hands.

however, your 1979 will be a solid front axle, so this doesn't apply :(

Hamilton Audio

Reply to
DIONYSUS

I have a 94 chevy silverado truck 4x4: The 95 GMC service manual describes a steering shock absorber being installed on trucks fitting all my spec.s by vin #. Do you know if the '94 trucks should have a steering shock absorber? Or did they start installing them in 95?

Reply to
9silverado4

I think the best way to find this out is to either look to see if it's there, or list the RPO codes from your vehicle here and someone will tell you if it's there.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Mackie