TJ towing capacity

Hi, Although already discussed on this forum, i'm a bite sceptical when i read various literature about the wrangler towing capacity. According to the owner's manual max towing is 2000 lbs. According to my car registration licence and the french caracteristics leaflet given by Chrysler Jeep, max towing is 2000 kg ( 4400 lbs ). Quite a difference ! Yesterday i towed, with my brand ne 4.0 wrangler, for over 100 miles at about 60 mph a horse trailer weighting about 1200 kg ( 2640 lbs ) without a single problem. Everything went just smooth and it seemed that the car could tow much more. Was i crazy ? Should i limit the tow ? Is it just a matter of local regulation between US and Europe ? Thanks for your answers. Best regards, Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

I believe the difference is in the detail.

The US spec says 2000lb as you say. The UK spec says 2000kg ( seems to have dropped to 1920kg on new models) but specifies that this is with a *BRAKED* trailer.

My trailer

is a 2.7 ton GWV twin axlejob with overrun brakes on both axles; the difference in stability with this type and the single axle type is significant.

I bet your horse trailer has more than one axle and proper brakes.

The bottom line is that there is no problem with the drivetrain that couldn't allow you to tow more except that the wheelbase is so short that you risk unstability.

Here are some figures for Jeeps main (and better ?) rival, the LandRover Defender which I think proves my point ( Defender has a 90" wheel base, TJ has a 93" wheel base)

Unbraked Trailer (On or Off Road): 1650lb (750 kg) Trailer with Brakes: Off-Road: 2200lb (1000 kg) On-Road (low range): 7700lb (3500 kg) On-Road (high range): 5000lb (2275 kg)

If anything, it looks like Jeep are being less conservative than LandRover !

Dave Milne

Reply to
RoyJ

I tow with my TJ and it will pull alot but won't stop much. I have the Auto Trans with a cooler and Temp guage and don't see much rise in temp with normal loads 12 to 1500 lbs. Stopping scares me in an emergency.

Tom

Reply to
Tom P

Right, my horse trailer is braked and has two axles, the center of gravity is very low. "Dave Milne" a écrit dans le message de news: nT7Ae.66648$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
Patrick

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I didn't mention that bit as I'm thought all export TJs have the Dana 44 ? Having said that, the XJ with the Dana 35c can tow more than the TJ implying that Jeep don't consider the axles an issue. Like you, I'm unconvinced.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Apparently, the Liberty has the same towing capacity as the Grand Wagoneer.. ha ha. which leads consumerguide.com to quote "Liberty's 5000-lb towing capacity is tops among compact SUVs." I bet it is ...

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I'm unexperienced on that matter but what's the difference between a Dana

44s and others Dana's and does that mean i can tow my daughter's horse trailer without worry ? "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...
Reply to
Patrick

Absolutely 'no' difference for all practical purposes.

Folks go and put low gears, lockers and monster tires on, then cry when something explodes. The fact that 99.9% of Jeeps out there run the same differential (only one that comes with most of them) really skews the numbers so folks can say things like the Dana 35 is weak, well it is the only one they put on, so what 'other' kinds could be weak, none right.

Some Jeeps come with a so called stronger rear end, the Dana 44 but the boys with the big toys still destroy them and call them weak, so go out and put Dana 60's in..... and on and on.

Something like a hard drive, no matter how big it is, you have it filled in 6 months.

These failures don't happen on the highway usually, but at slow high torque situations. See my engine mount post....

If your trailer is like the one described, you shouldn't have any issues. I would try it in an empty lot or somewhere to see how it handles when hard braking before taking it on the road though.

I don't know where you live, but around here 55 mph is the max for towing speed anyway. That extra 10 or 15 mph really makes a difference in how things work too.

Mike

Patrick wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, you were crazy. The fact that you survived means nothing.

Should i limit the tow ? Is it just a matter of local

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Bill, these guys are talking a 2500 lb trailer with dual axles and brakes...

The TJ limit is 2000 single and brakeless.....

Crap how much does the damn horse weigh?

I would stick to rural roads and not think twice about pulling 500 lb over with it's own 4 wheels and brakes.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thank you for the link, it was an interesting read. I have the 35c's and tow a 14' Aluminum boat so I guess I"m safe.

Reply to
inajeep

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Chad Fraker

Jeeps reasoning for their towing capacity is due to the wheel base not what the axles can handle they are looking at a safe tow without affecting handling or ride and lifting the liability off of Jeep.

Larry

Reply to
extremetj