Anti-Freeze leak

I have a 1996 chevy 1/2 ton pickup that is leaking antifreeze from under the passenger side dash board. There is no leaking outside in the engine compartment just inside under the dash. Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks John

Reply to
johncjr60

Heater core or connection to it.

Remove and replace is the best solution.

Reply to
Steve W.

Heater core. Dmax

Reply to
D-Max

Heater Core for a fact. I had a 1998 1-ton that went through 6 heater cores in a little over two years. Thank goodness my mechanic replaced them for free as they never made it out of warranty and he could not understand what was going on. The last year I had the truck I had radiator problems and replaced it with an oversized one and had no more heater core trouble.

Reply to
thewoodshop

Is your antifreeze Dex Cool? Then read this:

GM settles class-action suit GM General Motors

(AP) -- General Motors has agreed to settle a series of class-action lawsuits claiming a faulty engine coolant damaged thousands of customer vehicles.

Under the settlement, GM would reimburse class members between 50 and

800 dollars for repairs linked to Dex-Cool, which GM used in cars and trucks beginning in 1995.

The total cost to GM will depend on the number of customers claiming damages. But the plaintiffs' attorneys say the price tag could reach the hundreds of millions of dollars.

A GM spokesman says the company isn't admitting any wrongdoing, but is settling the case to cut down on legal bills.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Why???

Reply to
Hairy

GM will PAY for your Repairs . REFUND your Money. And Why did you cut off the rest of the post .

Reply to
tom

My concern is this.... Is the Dealer going to put DEX-COLL back into the Vehicle that WAS damaged BY DEX-COOL?

Nice to see that all those HOT SHOT MECHANICS here now Know they Were Wrong with They Sided with GM and SAID FAULTY GASKET ... And Said to BUY a Certain companies OVERLY PRICED gaskets to cure the problem and when it leaked again ,and Blamed it on the SHADE TREE MECHANIC who did the Repair JOB.

REMEMBER the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF , My 1989 S10 STILL Has the Same old GREEN STUFF that was in it When I bought the Truck NEW with 8 miles on it

Reply to
tom

I received money for Repairs made and I was Not a member of a Class suit

You telling me the Designed og Every Gasket was Wrong? V6's 4's V8's

So the Gasket Design Was the Reason That Dex-cool Ate thru all of Them Gaskets But Preston ( The Green Stuff) Does not eat thru those Same Gaskets .

Reply to
tom

Bullshit. What repairs? In detail?

No Just the v-8's & v-6's intake manifold gasket.

The gaskets leaked regardless of the anti freeze used. Blowfish.us indeed.

Reply to
JR

What proof do you have that this truck was damaged by DexCool? This appears to be a heater core leak, a failure not even mentioned in the law suit.

Even though it _was_ faulty gaskets. Your lack of comprehension doesn't make it different.

Haven't had one leak again after dozens and dozens of repairs.

Cite?

1) Your 89 S-10 didn't come equipped with the style of gaskets in question. 2) Plenty of vehicles named in the suit that were switched over to "the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF" developed leaks also. 3) Leaving the same coolant in for 19 years makes you some kind of stupid. 4) Wanna take a guess how many heater cores leaked in 80s S-10s and Blazers that came with "the GOOD OLD GREEN STUFF?"
Reply to
aarcuda69062

WOW, that was quick.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That _IS_ the pattern failure. (4 cylinder engines didn't use this style of gasket)

Your version, not necessarily anyone else's.

Your version, not necessarily anyone else's.

NOTHING got "ate thru." The nylon framework of the gaskets fractured due to shear forces, once fractured, the sealing component could shift allowing coolant to leak. The mechanics of the failure is obvious to anyone who has actually looked at a set of the failed gaskets.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Correct

Incorrect. In most class action suits, you are part of the "class" if you meet the specifications of the class, unless you specifically, and in writing, remove yourself from the class within the time period specified in the agreement. Usually done if you intend to sue under the unique merits of your own particular circumstances.

Incorrect again. For instance, I am a pary of the class to the "Class Action" lawsuit involving the major credit card companies collecting fees illegally for money conversions. I had no knowledge of the suit until I received the paperwork to file a claim from the legal firm hired by the CC companies, as part of the settlement, to inform all members of the "class" how to submit a claim.

And yes, I did check to ensure it was all legitimate before responding.

As for this "class action" suit, I went the GM webpage, and found the informatin/forms needed to make a claim for my mothers Chevy Venture van (Class "A" in the suit). I had no knowledge of the suit before reading about the settlement here in this newsgroup a few days ago.

John

Reply to
John

Yes John, you became a member of the class after fileing the paperwork.

Reply to
JR

Which occurred well "after the fact" of the suit being filed, and being adjudicator/settled. I was not part of the suit until "after the fact", and made it known to the executor of the settlement that "Hey, I want my cut too!"

John

Reply to
John

That should be "adjudicated"

Reply to
John

Because it was not material to my question. Should have been obvious.

What makes you think GM will pay for an under-dash coolant leak?

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

I understood John, =). What I misunderstood was your first post. mea culpa JR

Reply to
JR