are Roughrider M+S any good?

I am about to switch from BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A to Canadian Tire Roughrider M+S and i am wondering if this is a good idea? I know the M+S are a more aggresive tire but they are much cheaper $160 compared to $230 and living in Edmonton anymore snow grip is good.

Reply to
goalie

don't buy BFGs because they are owned by Uniroyal......a French company. I'm looking at Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. only problem is they are more expensive than BFGs....about $206 a tire. Firestone's Dueler MT is supposed to be fairly decent. k, this is way off subject...your talking about something else completely.

Reply to
Texas Aggie

BFG are excellent tires... what I'd use if not so expensive. I had a set of used ones yrs ago, best tires I ever tried. But don't know about the others.

Reply to
GC

The very BEST tires for snow that I have ever owned were the Bridgestones came stock on my new 1987 Mazda truck. You could go anywhere with those tire and - I did, believe you me.

The worst tires I have EVER had for snow came from "Crappy Tire" in Thunder Bay. I could NOT manuver the sloped drive out of the Crappy Tire parking lot and back on to Hwy 11-17 so I backed down and made them take the tires off again. NEVER bought another tire from them and NEVER WILL!

Tied for worst is also the Good year Wrangler. Could not keep traction on wet pavement to save my soul.. Our anemic 305 oil burner had too much jam for those tires on wet pavement and there was a real job to get going from a stop sign with those tires. Have refused to run those tires ever since. The truck I am working on right now came with Goodyear Wranglers and we took them off and gave them away rather than risk the same problem. New tires were purchased from the get-go.

My wife has a set of Blizzack knockoffs and they are awsome in snow and on ice altough they look like a tire from Grandpa Simpson's car with a non-agressive tread.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

"The Nolalu Barn Owl"

wranglers ...just like the wider models of bf good's should be run with lower air pressure than what is stated on the tire. somewhere around 25 psi. their not much of a city driving tire.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

Thanks for the info, Gordie! Yeah, I 'm currently using a set of Wheel Trac Radial AT tires made by Firestone/Bridgestone. Overall, not a bad tire... not the best, but VERY good considering what I paid for 'em--$200.02 out the door. They were only used for a couple hundred miles, not even wearing off all the molding flash. Somebody must have gotten paranoid when Firestone had the big recall, and decided they didn't want these since they're make by them........ bad for them, good for me! :-)

Reply to
GC

I was in a bit of a bind last christmas and needed some new tires badly but no longer had the funds for something popular due to my tranny blowing up...

so someone local to me sold me a set (4) of "Wintermark" M+S tires...like a no name brand...i can't tell you who makes them. They cost less than $100 (CDN) each and served me well on my trip from Vancouver to Revelstoke last year. The tread is somewhere between a BF all terrain and mud terrain in aggression.

We hit a near white-out snow storm over the coquihalla summit and through merrit and they held the road fine at highway speeds even though there were a good 4 inches of fresh powder covering the asphalt.

driving on hard-pack up to the ski hill and around town was great too.

I've put on about 23,000 km so far and i'd say there's only about

25-30% tread-loss....i use them off road too. mud & shale, and have only lost traction a few times in the rough. (i'm not into extreme offroading...yet ;)

i'm not saying they are the best and everyone's mileage may vary, but from my experience with them they've been a great bang for my buck.

I finally lost one to the sharp shale this past weekend and i'm comfortable knowing that a replacement is only going to cost me about $100....a far cry from $250 or more....or better yet, i'll pick up a pair and have a full-sized spare for next time :)

Reply to
Dennis

Take a look at TOYO Open Country...

Excellent fuel mileage, amazing all season traction..

Been extremely happy with them so far. OK pricing.

Reply to
Old Boy

ditto on what old boy said, i have the toyo's as well and love them, great tires

Reply to
Charles H.