Burb on the beach.

Just spent three days on the beach at Cape Hatteras NC. I am running 285/70 X 16R tires on a '98 Suburban. 5.7 engine, 3.73 axles, a full 44 gal gas tank, medium load, and two 110 lbs in the back behind the 3rd seat.

Aired down all four tires to 20psi before I even left the pavement. Did OK. But I got stuck once on Friday and once on Saturday, in deep soft sand crossing ruts for other vehicles. I managed to get out by myself both times, but only by airing the rear tires down to 11psi, rocking back and forth gently in 4LO, with the emergency brake down two or three notches, and going very easy on the gas.

In 4AUTO, 4HI or 4LO rear wheel spin was a major problem. Even pushing on the emergency brake wouldn't solve the problem. Any constrictive suggestions on how to solve this. I have thought of two things. Wider rear tires (same diameter) or maybe duals on the rear. Anyone have a dually burb? Someone has got to have one. I may have to get some new rims, it has Escalade rims on it now.

RE/

Mine's never gotten stuck down there but I think I've been close a few times.

Technique counts for a lot....and lacking same, I never, ever, under any circumstances drive below the tide line.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Open rear-end or Eaton posi?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

That "tide line" bit may be the best advice that I've heard of yet!!!

Denny

Reply to
Denny

Reply to
sidewinder

Friday when I got stuck it was far from the tide line. I had just came out of the dunes at ramp "44" (south branch) and was 100 yards from the tide line. Saturday evening I was on the "hump" just above the tide line, and I ran out of beach trying to get from "44" to the point. I got caught between the No Vehicle (Piping Plover nesting) area and the tide coming in, and had to back up about ½ mile.

I was following two jeeps. They went out through the wet sand, but were prepared to pull each other out if one got stuck. I didn't have a lot of confidence in the 4 cyl jeeps being able to pull me out.

My big problem is the rear axle wheels wanting to spin, with even the slightest touch of the gas pedal.

Don't know, just bought it. I need to go run the vin#, if I can get the local (ah-so) dealer to do it. (They are not customer friendly). On sand it drives a lot like my 73 pick-up w/posi did, but I am not sure..

I used to take my old '02 Avalanche 1500/Z71 out on the dunes at Cape Cod (massachusetts), all the time. It was running 265/70or75/17's aired down to 10-11psi, 4.10's, and the Eaton G80 out back. The G80 was never worth a damn out there. When I'd get stuck, all four tires would dig.

This one particular hill would get me all the time. It (and a lot of other trails out there) would form "speed bumps" from other vehicles and traffic. I couldn't explain how they form, but they get your truck bouncing pretty bad, and you'd easily loose traction no matter how slow you went.

In order to make the hill, I had to use 4L0, and put the shifter in either 1st or 2nd (I forget), to limit the wheel-spin. I want to say it was second, because it locks in that gear. I never really used 4HI or AutoTrac becuase the speeds out on the sand never warranted anything more than 4L0. It was rare for me to get up to 15mph. Slow and steady is definitely the key out here.

I see a lot of guys out here buy a spare set of rims, like steel rock- crawlers (nice and cheap), and shod with BFG AT's. They're by far the most popular tires out there. I was running a slightly more street oriented set of Goodyears. Mud tires are actually bad in the real soft sand. You need something that'll let you float.

I haven't seen a dually 'burban, but I know there's a company out there that sells conversions.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Some areas on Hatteras seem to be bottomless. The sand just has a different consistinsy. The ramp areas are almost always worse then the beach because they stay 'chewed' up. I've had our Wrangler sitting on the frame trying to a ramp.

I think part of the problem just has to do with the weight of a 'Burb. I know when I take my K-1500 down there, it takes a completely different driving technique then the Jeep Wrangler.

As for tires, there a lot of people who swear by 'skinnier is better'.

How about this for stuck- I was the father-in-law in his '88 'Burb when it just stopped moving. The clutch linkage came apart. You could feel it from the top, but not see it. You could see it from the bottom, but not feel it. The tide was coming in, and the 'Burb was gradually settling into the sand. It took us almost an hour to get it back together, and the f-i-l had some wicked marks across his chest from the settling.

Reply to
Retiredff

Look for option code G80 on the sticker inside the glovebox............

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I'll look when I get home. Is G80 good or bad?

Depends on how you look at it, he he he he he. G80 indicates Eaton posi rear-end, which is better than open, but not much...........

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

RE/

Can't take credit for thinking of it myself. Some years back, my son-in-law and his buddy had to sit and watch as the Delaware Bay tide covered an almost new vehicle. Man!...that must have been excruciating!

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

glovebox............

Thanks for the replies Doc.

Yes its G80! I thought it operated like the posi did on my old truck.

Is there some place on line that I can run the vin# or the option codes to find out everything I have?

SUV in the drink. I can't imagine watching this happen.

JR

Reply to
JR

constrictive

Just do a googoe search for "gm rpo codes" and you'll find all you need.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I would think that if you were in 4hi or 4lo the front wheels (at least one of them since the diff is open) would spin just as much and as fast as the rear wheel(s) is (are). tad

Reply to
ottertailfamily

William

(top post)

Well they didn't. I would have though so also.

Re-run but funny none-the-less.

~KJ~

Reply to
KJ