Bypassing the dvd while in drive

Is there any way to disable the function that kills the dvd screen in the console while in drive. I certainly dont want to watch Finding Nemo, but my kids are fine with the screen in the rear, but my wife gets bored only hearing the sound and not the movie. Its a 2007 LTZ Suburban Thanks for your help. Glen

Reply to
Glen

I do not know that this is a wise idea as it is mostly illegal to have a screen on in front while dirving whether you are watching it or not. Hardware wise it would not be hard to overcome.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

on Saturday 14 July 2007 04:42 pm, someone posing as Glen took a rock and etched into the cave:

Have the installer disable it. I did so when I had my DVD installed...

...makes it good to see what the kids are watching in the back while driving.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Reply to
Glen

That will not fly as a excuse if you get caught with it playing in front going down the road.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

on Monday 16 July 2007 11:27 am, someone posing as SnoMan took a rock and etched into the cave:

It is illegal to play?

I wasn't aware of that.

In any case, if I ever get pulled over, I'll be sure and hit the NAV button. :P

Reply to
PerfectReign

No idea if it's TRUE, but my daughter claims that in CA, her visor mounted screen on the passenger side is ok IF there is someone in the right side seat.. I think it would be a bit different if it was a dash mounted one that the driver could see easily?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It's not true.

Video cannot be visible to the driver from ANYWHERE in the vehicle. Matter of fact, CHP has begun tagging drivers for having aftermarket GPS systems mounted to the windshield.

dan

Reply to
dan

on Tuesday 17 July 2007 10:16 am, someone posing as dan took a rock and etched into the cave:

I'll have to ask around on this one. Hadn't heard of that.

Reply to
PerfectReign

on Tuesday 17 July 2007 10:16 am, someone posing as dan took a rock and etched into the cave:

Ahh, here...

...interesting. I wonder what the interpretation of item (b)(5) is.

I mean, my DVD player has an interlock, and disables the video playback while the car is in drive. However, the installer bypassed the interlock. That isn't covered in the vehicle code explicitly.

27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when installed in a vehicle:

(1) A vehicle information display.

(2) A global positioning display.

(3) A mapping display.

(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver's view forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of maneuvering the vehicle.

(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen, or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.

(6) A mobile digital terminal installed in a vehicle owned or operated by an electrical corporation, as defined in Section 218 of the Public Utilities Code, a local publicly owned electric utility, as defined in Section 9604 of that code, a gas corporation, as defined in Section 222 of that code, or a telephone corporation, as defined in Section 234 of that code, if the mobile digital terminal is fitted with an opaque covering that does not allow the driver to view any part of the display while driving, even though the terminal may be operating.

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile digital terminal installed in an authorized emergency vehicle or to a motor vehicle providing emergency road service or roadside assistance.

(d) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile digital terminal installed in a vehicle owned or operated by an electrical corporation, as defined in Section 218 of the Public Utilities Code, a local publicly owned electric utility, as defined in Section 9604 of that code, a gas corporation, as defined in Section 222 of that code, or a telephone corporation, as defined in Section 234 of that code, when the vehicle is deployed in an emergency to respond to an interruption or impending interruption of electrical, natural gas, or telephone service. Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 303, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004. Amended Sec. 31, Ch. 615, Stats. 2004. Effective January 1, 2005.

Reply to
PerfectReign

Take a look at the very first section. It covers your system. Kind of like the fact that your vehicle may be capable of 100 MPH, BUT that doesn't make it legal to drive that fast. If it can display video other than the allowed it is illegal if you can see it while in the drivers seat and the vehicle is in motion.

Reply to
Steve W.

I used to live in Japan. All the DVD systems there work while the vehicle is in motion and drivers all seem to be watching TV while driving. Very bizarre indeed. Wonder why they don't have more wrecks. Maybe because in most developed countries the drivers actually have to demo some skill. Guess that's why we have idiots in the left lane doing 10 less than the limit. OK Bubba - off the soapbox.

Bubba

on Tuesday 24 July 2007 08:28 pm, someone posing as Bubba took a rock and etched into the cave:

LOL!

Reply to
PerfectReign

Though I do not want to get into a debate over this, I will provide a little insight. I am a former Mobile Electronics installer and can tell you with all certainty that to have a "video" system operating that is viewable by the driver in most states it ILLEGAL. This means a center mounted unit being used for other than navigation purposes, a sun visor screen, an overhead, a rear view mirror screen, etc.

Reply to
azwiley1