Cat. Convert.

Can I take out the Cat. or Cats on my '96 Yukon with the (Vortec 5.7) without any problems.?? I am getting a rattling sound from it so I assume one of the baffles or plates inside must be coming apart and instead of the expense of replacing it I would rather just cut it out.......

Thanks

Reply to
Yukon Owner

if you remove the catalytic convertors from a cat equipped vehicle, you set yourself up for some SERIOUSLY stiff fines (think 6 figures for each cat) from the fed gov't for when you get caught. do the right thing and purchase (a) new one(s).

-Bret and by the way.... it is EXTREMELY easy to tell just by smell of the cats are in there or not.

Reply to
Bret Chase

too many problems too many fines you need to replace it

Reply to
Steve Cook

Are you sure it's not the heat shield above the converter making the rattle?

Reply to
John Manner

I thought of that and it looks good...

Reply to
Yukon Owner

We have no emission testing where I am and I know of too many people that have done it including the local Midas muffler shop who has done a few cut outs for me to think that we have any kind of fine but I will look into that.....

Reply to
Yukon Owner

just because other people do it doesn't make it any more legal. we're talking about emissions tampering on a federal level. I'm quite suprised that a national chain (Midas) would cut out the cat. I'm sure Midas' corp office would strongly disapprove of such actions. do what you want.... it's not legal and never will be legal.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I also forgot to mention that your computer will freak out... throwing convertor efficiency codes up the wazoo..

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

....You work for the emissions testing where you live or what...Relax.....Besides I just hung up the phone from two of the big chain muffler shops in our town and both said that you are WRONG, they would cut it out for $ 60.00 and that we have no testing and no fines for such actions. They did say that depending on where you may move to in the future and assuming you still own that vehicle you may have to put it back in to be legal. I have no plans to move so that's not the problem. The problem however is that in those vehicles there is actually 3 converters and there are sensors in the line after the converters so yes it will screw up the computer. If that wasn't the case I would have no problem saving the money and them out. I do however understand what you are saying and if I lived in your part of the world then I could see the point for leaving them in.

Reply to
Yukon Owner

I am assuming that you must live in the States with those kinds of Federal laws and such stiff penalties...

Reply to
Yukon Owner

WTF ?

you think that 'Federal laws' are only enforced in certain states ?

one can only hope you're on a trip and get pulled over for a random emissions test..............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

WTF ?

you think that 'Federal laws' are only enforced in certain states ?

one can only hope you're on a trip and get pulled over for a random emissions test..............

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

You'll also notice, hopefully, that he's using a Canadian email address, and is likely not from the United States. Do you know the emissions regulations in Canada? and how they are enforced or where?

Brandonb

Gary Glaenzer wrote:

Reply to
Brandon Buckner

I missed the canadian addy too...

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

(the original post is not worth the snip it takes to publish it)

Yukon Owner, Why don't you just go ahead stuff a plastic bag over your kids heads and get it over with. What a freak'n dipsh*t you are. You and BRANDON BUCKNER who's asking if gary knows Canadian Emission laws.

Never mind fuel effiency, whether or not anyone will do it for you. how many cats are on it, or what kind of fick'n noise it's make'n. People like you are the reason the enviroment is in the condition it's in NOW!

So.....go ahead and put those plastic bags over your kids heads, stick em out in the sun on a blistering day with no sunscreen on, and while your at it......wrap your lips around the exhaust pipe and inhale really fk'n hard a couple dozen times a day.

Better yet, come on over to the shop and I'll help you out.....I'll let you suck the exhaust on a foul running engine with the bay doors down.

Bring Brandon Buckner with you.....he needs a good appreciation of what emission laws were enacted for too.

Canada......sheeeesshhhh

What an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!

Scribs Abell ~:~ when all else fails........whoop some sense into them~:~

Reply to
Scribb Abell

Or you could just buy the o2 sensor simulators and not worry about screwing up the computer.

Reply to
William

for US ppl...

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

On the sauce again, Marsh??

Reply to
Dave Brower

Thank-you.....another person who would have no prop. cutting them out. ..You are most certainly right, there are 3 and there are sensors after them.....

Reply to
Yukon Owner

Reply to
Yukon Owner