5.0 rattle

Hey guys...

The old 5.0 5-spd makes a rattling noise when the tach passes 2,000, up or down. I'm going to bet this is a clutch or tranny issue? I'm not sure. Any thoughts guys?

Thank you.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

Kind of tough without hearing the rattle... My first thought was a loose pulley.

Is the rattle up front, midway, or toward the back of the car?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Reply to
Michael Johnson

have someone try to locate it while revving it. Could be just a loose clamp.

Is clutch in or out? Car moving or not?

Reply to
lassie

If it's a light rattle look at the exhaust system. If it's a GM car look for loose pistons:) Don't blame me, they do have 5.0 Camaro's...

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Hey guys... It's a light rattle... when the gas is on when accelerating. The clutch is out. Always at 2,000rpm. Weirdest thing. Car runs good otherwise - hey, it's a 5.0. :)

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

I agree, check all exhaust components, especially heat shields on the cats. Most likely due to a harmonic frequency at that RPM. Several wavelengths from different drivetrain components may come into synch, thereby amplifying themselves through loose components. If there is nothing loose on the outside, take a rubber mallet and it each cat (not too hard) and listen for rattles. I've had baffles break loose inside and cause rattling noises. If that's the case, get a whole new H-pipe and do a DIY install. Might be cheaper than a shop cutting out and replacing one bad cat. If a shop just replaces one, you'll still have 3 old cats which may do the same thing eventually. As a bonus you can get legal hi-flow cats and gain a few HP.

mkl '86 Capri 5.0 5-spd

175,000 mi

Reply to
Mike Lenker

Heat shields. That sounds right. And an easy and very cheap fix, too - rip it out.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

There is a real good fix for rattling heat shields that I use. I buy a large stainless steel band clamp (maybe two if the shield is large) and tighten it around the entire shield. It won't rust, holds the shield snugly in place and keeps the functionality of the heat shield intact.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

there was a recall on the cats on 5.0 before 92? (free cats) The ceramic would break inside the cat and heat up, cause funny sounds etc. Had a 89, one side was broke, would resonate about 3k as a loud muffled sound, 2.5 to 3.5 or so. fixed for free by ford. Also a loose fitting on the exhaust pipe somewhere can do it.

Reply to
lassie

Okay. Sounds good. Thank you guys. I'll let you know when I find it.

Thanks again!

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

yup, had my h-pipe replaced under recall many moons ago. Insides still fine, but shedding heat shields every so often. About ready to drop another one.

Reply to
Mike Lenker