Clutch sound- any ideas?

I suppose there is nothing worse than trying to discribe a sound, but maybe someone will have the patients and knowledge to help. I have a '92 K1500 siverado 4x4 5.7L (350) with a STANDARD 5 speed transmission. The engine and cluth and fly gear were changed out for new just about 3,000 miles ago. The truck has started to emit a high pitched squeel or scree when the clutch pedal is released from the down position. It is not the sound of gringing gears, but rather more like the sound of a small amount of brake dust. It's really not very loud. It does not happen if I'm sitting in neutral and pumpining the clutch. It happens in first alot, and sometimes in second or third, but not when downshifting (which I rarely do, so this could just be chance). It happens whether or not the 4 wheel drive is engaged. It doesn't always happen (but does most of the time now), and seems to be related to how fast the clutch is engaged. If the pedal is raised slower than normal (I am not hot footed by any means) it does not happen as often.

Any ideas on things to check? I didn't put the engine in myself (and couldn't if I had wanted to). The shop who did may or may not be helpfull. I wish I'd had the work done by Goodwrench (it's one of their long blocks). All other parts were genuine as well. I'll have to take this in, but was hoping for some input on what I might expect. I'm new to the area and don't have a mechanic I really know. I'm hesitant about the shop that put it in, because they chnaged out the exhaust system when I first stated having problems, swearing they'd done a leak down etc, and it turned out the problem was really a cracked head. They put reconditioned heads in that were bad (they didn't figure that out, but I did when it ran like crap and blew blue smoke on startup) and then claimed two cylinders were out of round. That's when I opted for the new engine. Mistakes can happen, but that doesn't seem like a good record to me.

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

"Rick" wrote

One common problem back in those days was that you could get a squealing noise from the clutch fork. There is a ball stud inside the bellhousing that the clutch fork pivots on and if this is not lubed properly, it will make a squealing noise, usually when the clutch is released. In later years, GM designed the bell housings so that you could apply grease to a grease nipple on the outside of the bell housing which would lubricate the ball stud (it was a hollow design). You can change up earlier years by installing the new design stud and then drill a hole in the bell housing at the correct location and install a grease nipple.

Of you can get enough room to see the clutch fork and ball stud, you could attempt to squirt a little bit of penetrating fluid, or anything that will easily lube the ball stud area and see if the noise disappears. If you aren't comfortable doing this, just mention the possibility to the techs that you had do the work, and see if they can figure something out.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the suggestion Ian. I messed around some on the way home last night and found if I let the clutch pedal up at the right rate and stopped at the right place the scree would continue. Of course I didn't let it go for long. I guess that eliminates some possibilities. I was thinking maybe U-joints or something as it only happens under power and I can't really tell where the sound comes from while inside a moving truck.

Reply to
Rick