down in oil

noticed that my chev silverado /w 250 was down roughly a liter of oil so I topped it off. Damn... old girl got some kick to her now. :)

Reply to
Michael McNeil

RE/

Mine always seems to run better after I wash it.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Reply to
seeray28

Reply to
Michael McNeil

"Michael McNeil"

had a buddy in high school with an old chev half ton 4x4. it ran out of oil and got so hot the motor wouldn't run. ...twice

but after it cooled we would pour oil in it and it would fire up....30,000 klm later it didn't even knock and the truck sold for more than he paid for it.

Reply to
S.S.I.N.

you want to REALLY see it run strong... take it to a chevy dealer and look at new trucks..

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Franko

Reply to
Michael McNeil

a 250-I6 has about 125HP... the smallest V8 (4.8) in a new truck puts out about 285hp... you do the math.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I used to do the same thing with my '79 chevy pickup. 250 six cylinder. When the rockers rattled enough I would stop and add oil. Eventually I just rebuilt the motor. But that thing was tough, not powerful, but tough.

Bryan

Reply to
frametype

My '67 Chevelle 250 did burn 2 stroke oil, for a while. Was on I 87 coming home from a snowmobile trip towing a trailer w/sleds and burnt a piston. It was a sub zero day. Motor was pumping oil out and I didn't have any more motor oil with me. All I had was 2 stroke oil so I poured it in to get the 25 -30 miles to the next service area. Damned if the oil girl made it and got me the rest of the 250 miles home on

5 holes. She was smoking like a 2 stroker with that stuff in. I figured the motor was toast anyway, it had high miles, and every mile closer to home was a another buck off the tow bill. The 2 stroke oil did clean up a sticky lifter though.........
Reply to
Repairman

get behind the wheel of one of Chevy's new, 2500HD's with 366 ci engine and you will see the difference in new vs old.!!1 I've got a '03 2500HD, ext cab, short bed and it'll keep up with alot of hotrods on the road today. I'm happy with the get-up-n-go..!!!!

Reply to
wolvomite

well the best I could do is test drive one and that's about it. Would like a new one but mine serves me well for what I need.

BTW

any>>

Reply to
Michael McNeil

maybe the wrong example... kind of like when you order a new bowling ball, the old one suddenly remembers how to throw strikes, like it's saying "I'm in great shape, don't dump me!".. lol

Reply to
mac davis

a 350 (5.7) takes 6 quarts.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

RE/

How's the MPG? I'd be happy with anything over 14...which I'm getting now on a good day.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Reply to
Michael McNeil

I have a 1994 Silverado 4x4.The manual says it takes 5 quarts with the filter change too???????

I have always changed my own oil every 3 thousand miles and added 5 quarts.The dip stick reads full????

Is this wrong???

Thanks Doug

Reply to
Doug

RE/

Ditto my '98 K1500 5.7.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

it takes just under 6 quarts w/ a filter, but I just dump in the full

6 and don't worry about it.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase