ethanol/duramax

It has to do with lubrication and fuel quality with high pressure injection system. There is another problem looming to because low sulpher fuel will be the mainstay is about a little over a year and older injection systems may have issues with it because sulpher help lube pump and injector parts. Anything around 2006 or later should be okay but I would check with ealier models.

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

I was wondering what that sticker was that I saw at the shell diesel pump about low sulphur....it said something about 2007 or later??? So is the 2006 system on the Duramax ok with this low sulphur? mc

Reply to
mc

As far as I know but you might double check this. Starting in 2008, diesel will have full fledged catalytic cinverters on them, not just thermale reacotor that are mistaken for CAT's. Low sulpher fuel is required and high sulpher fuel is supposed to be off the market in

2008 so there will be no avoiding it. By 2008 is it supposed to be at a level that CATS will function at and they will recue the level more every year after that until by 2013, it will be basically gone from diesel fuel. (it has been basically out of gas for many years)

----------------- The SnoMan

SnoMan

Things should get interesting at the pumps for the next year...I see on some of the Bio-D websites that they say the bio-d is actually a better lubricant, but the GM warranty isn't going to allow more than the 5% mix. mc

Reply to
mc

I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/5.3L engine. How can I tell if I can run E85 when it becomes available in my area?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Klein

Unless it is a flex fuel vehicle you legally cannot run E85. It is considered emission tampering.

Reply to
Steve W.

And how would one go about finding out if it were a flex fuel vehicle? I know some of the current model Silverados can use E85 legitimately but because mine is 2003, I am unsure.

Reply to
Kevin Klein

?????????? Can you cite a reliable source for this info?

Reply to
Mike Dobony

There's a pretty cool E85 discussion group here:

David Courtney

to see a chart of Flex Fuel Vehicles. However most of them have a Yellow gas cap and do not have Gasoline only stickers.

Depends on if you consider the Federal Government a reliable source?

Steve W.

I don't find it saying anywhere that using E85 is considered emissions tampering. The article cited talks about conversions, not fuels. It also exempts many conversions and circumstances where conversions are legal. It does not state that use of E85 or any alternative fuel is illegal. Your statement implies that all use of e85 fuels in non-flex-fuel vehicles is illegal. Please give a page number to check this. As I read it there is no law prohibiting the use of e85 in non-flex-fuel vehicles and that conversions MAY be illegal. If the conversion is certified and is installed in a conforming manner, than the article states that it IS legal.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony