finally....a new truck for me!

after 232,000 miles, i am finally in the market for a new truck. the wait was so long because i have had 2 kids begin driving - and each have chevy trucks of course... ;-)

my question is - how good is the chevy theft deterrent? they say it has a built-in kill switch..... my '94 had the GM security alarm and i immediately had a steering column collar installed, and i never had a theft attempt though i park it in my driveway in Houston - a high theft area of course.

so - is the system any good, or should i add something extra? do they make collars for the newer trucks, and are ythey even necessary? i assume theives still bust the column to hot wire the vehicle - or do they have other methods??

also - is chevy still the leader in trucks being stolen???

David

(excuse the cross-post to alt.chevy.trucks - just need an answer soon and wanted best exposure....).

Reply to
surfgeo

A determined thief will find out how to disable a factory system. The knowledge is out there somewhere. If you are in a high theft area it wouldn't hurt to install additional deterrents. No point in making it easy.

Reply to
Mellowed