Truck rewiring

I have a 1978 Ford 460 engine that I am rebuilding. I want to be able to bypass all of the electrical start-up and just be able to start it up with a flip switch that you would see in the new race car/truck that you see today. Does anyone have any pointers on how it is I could accomplish this? Right now, she will not turn over with the key to give fire to the distributor or starter motor. Or any other electrical systems inside/outside the cab. All I want to be able to do at this point is to be able to start it up. I am not concerned with the lights or anything at the moment. I can work out those details later.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Ronnie

Reply to
Karan MacDonald

"Karan MacDonald" had writtennews:WLSEd.207521$ snipped-for-privacy@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca:

Check the inline fuse wire from the battery side of the solenoid. These are a cheap fix and have a tendency to corrode over the years.

Reply to
Barney

Put a switch in line with the ignition coil to turn the ignition on and off. Good security thing, too. Next to it a pushbutton or spring loaded switch tied into the solenoid that engages it. I'd recommend covering the switches to keep crud out; you're introducing another failure possibility.

Reply to
carl mciver

Sounds like the old "on the column" toggle switch on the steering column of my pappy's old '48 two-ton ford trucks. Simply flip the switch up and press the chrome push button on the left side of the dash. Didn't need anything like an ignition lock in those (sigh) gold ole days. Reminds me of the time I couldn't get a head to bust loose from the studs and pappy suggested I simply put the plugs back in and crank the engine over. Only he didn't tell me not to put the plug wires back on or not to flip that toggle switch. Honest to goodness that head flew clear across the shop. Pappy nearly killed me for doin' that trick. Never did it again though. The things you learn as a kid growing up in the midwest. I did become a pretty good mechanic though.

Reply to
The earnest one