Getting Electric Shift Out Of 4WD Manually?

Foolishly, I think, I opted for the electric 4WD shift mechanism instead of the floor-mounted hand mechanism.

So many things have failed on this vehicle, that I have to think the electric shift's number may be coming up...

Is there a technique to get out of 4WD if the electric shift mechanism fails.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

This is really a good question. In theory(assuming the encoder motor is working) you could rig up a circuit to power it to shift gears but it would be hard to control the position internal shifter. The system works by having a encoder in motor and the control unit that track the encoder output and finds the shift positions by using encoder reading as a referance. If you have not already, you might try removing TCCM fuse for several minutes to clear the controllers memeory and then se if it will reboot and work properly for a bit. This is one reason why I would never buy a electric shift 4x4 (I call them push and pray) because they can be troublesome when they get older. Most of these pushbutton encoder motors mount into Tcase too so manualy trying to shift them is a real pain and very hard to do. You also might pull encoder motor and try to operate it removed from Tcase (make sure it is grounded) to see if it is working. Also is it actually in 4x4 or is it a light? Furthermore there is the front axle disconnect whech controlls the light too and if it is a about a 98 on back it has a thermo device that engages front axle and it disconnects when power is removed. Models after that are servo controlled and need power to engage and disengaged them.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Per SnoMan:

This is a '98.

It's working ok now (although I've had to have the dashboard part of it replaced once already...)

I was thinking more along the lines of coming off the beach at

7pm on a Sunday evening finding the thing wouldn't shift back to 2wd, and having some sort of workaround that could get me on the highway by crawling under the vehicle and doing something right then and there.

Sounds like if I were to cut right wire, that might do it - as might just disconnecting a battery terminal momentarily.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)