GM Diesel (6.2L) fuel filter replacement

Followed directions in the manual. New filter is latched on, with the drain shut and the vent open. Pulled pink wire from the injector pump solenoid. How long does it take to crank the engine to fill the new filter?? Cranked about 6 times for 10 seconds with intervals of several minutes to keep from overheating the starter. I still don't see any fuel coming out the vent.

Reply to
bw

Yes, It takes awhile to pump the fuel up back thru the filter, that is if the fuel pump is good. You could try spraying WD-40 down the intake manifold while cranking to help the engine spin over faster, do not use ether. Also cycle the glow plugs before cranking.

Bill

Reply to
Diesel65

Hard on the starter/battery but you have to do it that way or risk getting your GM diesel's fuel injection pump airlocked (even harder on your starter/battery and requires loosening of a couple of injector lines).

If you install an (aftermarket) electric lift pump (e.g., Autozone part #E-8012-S for about $45), post filter changes become extremely easy on labor and on the starter/battery.

You can wire it so that the electric lift pump gets juice: a). from the main fuse block ignition circuit b). from the main fuse block ignition circuit through an oil pressure switch (for safety reasons in an accident) c). directly from the POS battery terminal (use a heavy duty 12V toggle switch to power it for air bleeding your new diesel fuel filter)

I have mine wired using a three-position toggle switch (On1-Off-On2) where On1 is wired to a. above and On2 is wire to c. above (someday, I'll install and wire it through an oil pressure switch e.g., Napa 701-1575)

May I suggest that you install a Racor 645 diesel fuel filter/water separator between the fuel tank and the electric lift pump (cheapest I've bought from is OilGuard.com/online/...Other Racor Products for $80 for the

30micron filter).

All the above information, plus more, is available on 62-65dieselpage.com. Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Thanks for the ideas. The electric pump is the smart way to go. I've been asking around and found out a neighbor has done almost exactly the same thing to his 84 GM 6.2L, worked good. Will probably go over the entire fuel system anyway since my 85 has been sitting for 3 years with only a few gallons of fuel being taken from the tank.

Reply to
bw

Hello bw,

Unless you are able to drop the fuel tank to clean it, you'll most probably clog up the 1st in-line fuel filter once you start pumping the diesel out of the tank. In that case, install the electric lift pump which comes with a small metal fuel filter attached, prime/air-bleed your fuel system, discard the metal filter, install the Racor and hopefully, there is not much gunk in the fuel tank. The Racor filter elements run about $22-$25 each and are available in 30, 10, 1micron models (1 or 2 microns, I forget).

Before you do any of the above, you could try and drain the fuel tank (if you cannot drop it) by siphoning out the diesel safely as follows:

  1. You'll need two lengths of clear plastic tubing (1/2" or 3/4"), one about
1'-2' long, the other long enough for one end to reach the bottom of the tank and the other end touching the ground.
  1. With the long hose in place, stick the other end into a diesel-safe container on ground level (lower than the fuel tank).
  2. Stick the shorter hose into the fuel filler.
  3. Tightly cover both hoses and the filler with a clean cloth (air tight).
  4. Blow into the short hose until diesel starts flowing out the long hose. That should start the siphoning action.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Franko

Reply to
Franko