fuel filter replacement: how?

Hi all

I apologize in advance... this isn't a Miata related question. I have a 94 '626 with just over 98K miles. I've never yet changed the fuel filter on it and I just noticed yesterday that the service manual recommends a change at

50K miles (whoops!). So my questions are:

a) what damage, if any, have I already done by leaving the original filter on for so long? Have I worked the fuel pump too hard (if the filter has gotten more clogged over time)? b) how easy/difficult a job is this? I guess I should open the gas tank cap and let the pressure out first; but then what are the next steps? Can someone help?

Thank you!

RG

Reply to
phileas_fogg

Here are some tips from when I did this. It's not too bad, if you take a few precautions. Outside of getting the car up to work on it (just ramps won't work, since the filter is towards the back), and cleaning up split fuel, the actual replacement shouldn't take you more than 15 or 20 minutes, even for a beginner.

Depressurizing the fuel system: You need to start the car, let it idle, and then remove the fuel pump relay under the steering column. It's a white connector in a black bodied unit. The car will stall, and then you can work.

Safety: You're going to spill fuel. It just comes with the job. Wear gloves and glasses. If you're worried, you might even want to wear tight fitting glasses or goggles.

Removing the hoses from the filter: It has been suggested that you can plug the hoses with golf tees. This did NOT work for me, and I got a lot of fuel all over the place. Since then I purchased some clamps from AutoZone that are designed for closing off things like fuel lines.

Putting in the new filter: The new filter should have some rubber caps on it. Don't take both of these off. Take one off, and connect that side's fuel line. Then take the other one off and connect that side's fuel line. Otherwise you're going to spill more fuel out through the filter while you fumble to get the hoses in place.

Priming the fuel system: Once you're done, you're going to need to prime the fuel pump. It's really simple. First, clean up any spilt fuel and wait for vapors to clear. Then jump the GND and F/P pins on the diagnostic connector under the hood. Turn the ignition switch on for about 10 seconds and check for leaks by the filter. Then turn the ignition off, remove the jumper, and start the car. Todd Palino Website:

Public Key:
Your excuse is: Route flapping at the NAP.

SpamBlock in place. Get rid of the "foobar" before you email me.

Reply to
Todd Palino