GM Truck Rear Brake Conversion

Does anyone make a conversion kit to go from the rear disc brakes to drum brakes?

TIA

Reply to
Commentator

why would you want to go to drum brakes???

just curious --

begin 666 p.gif M1TE&.#EA$ $C`( !````_____R'Y! $```$`+ `````0`2,```+_C(^IR^T/ MHYRTVHNSWKS[#X;B2);FB:;JRK;N"\?R3-?VC>?ZSO?^#PP*A\2B\8A,*I?, MIO,)C4JGU*KUB@3(M!

Reply to
honk_on_bobo

Don't know of one. Probably be easier to buy a complete axle from a boneyard and bolt it in. Then change out the master cyl. and prop. valves.

Reply to
Steve W.

Well, if he lives in the north where salt eats the discs in short order that would be one reason. I have seen the damage caused by de-icing salt firsthand. Large pieces of the braking surface of the disc flake right off. Very expensive repairs are required every other year -- new discs and pads at the least.

Fronts are not effected. The spray from the front tires goes directly on the rear discs.

Glad I have rear drums.

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

well i live in Pennsylvania and have never had any problems with my rotors or pads from the salt. now my undercarrige on the other hand......... --

begin 666 p.gif M1TE&.#EA$ $C`( !````_____R'Y! $```$`+ `````0`2,```+_C(^IR^T/ MHYRTVHNSWKS[#X;B2);FB:;JRK;N"\?R3-?VC>?ZSO?^#PP*A\2B\8A,*I?, MIO,)C4JGU*KUB@3(M!

Reply to
honk_on_bobo

============ ============

Vehicle specific nomenclature info....would be a bit helpfull..........

anywhooooooo........ to answer your question..........

GM does!!

With that said.......here's a nice read with the NG's resident Dealer techs views on the disc/drum comparison.............

use the archives......they're helpfull.

Read this thread...you'll find that GM went back to rear drums in 2005-2006...... the parts to do your conversion are readily available through the dealer...............

it's jest a money thing!!

~:~ MarshMonster ~pours some crownroyal in his coffee......mmmm....... good stuff~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

Because the discs are crap

Reply to
Commentator

Thanks Marsh, just thought that there might be a handy kit out there, given the trouble people have had with the discs.

Reply to
Commentator