Pads and Rotors

Hind sight is 20/20! I put new front brake pads on my 99 suburban 1500 4x4 about 6K miles ago. I had the rotors turned and the guy that tuned them said the one was slightly under spec. I let it go and sure enough, they are warped pretty bad now. Not sure what it is with the 99 burbans, they seem like it takes a lot of braking to stop those tanks! I picked up some new rotors and getting ready to replace them. I got lots of meat on these almost new ray bestos pads. Should I replace the pads to or will it be OK to use them again?

Thanks ahead, Brian

Reply to
Shredder

There will be contradiction to this I'm sure...Have the rotors turned BEFORE you install them. I have only come across about 20% of new rotors that didn't have at LEAST a slight bit of runout. Cheap insurance for longer life and good breaking. As for the pads, make sure there is no glazing on em(med. tooth file or med. grit sandpaper) and reuse em!

Reply to
Shades

If you buy good Bendix or Raybestos rotors you don't have to turn them. Just the Chinese and Mexican cheepos.

Brian

Reply to
el Diablo

You should be able to use them again. I'm surprised that the fellow turning your rotors let that one rotor back onto your vehicle when it was under spec. That's not really kosher. You also need to make sure that the hub surface that the new rotor mounts to is perfectly clean and smooth. You cannot leave any rust on that surface as your rotor will then not run true with respect to the brake pads. Within a few thousand miles....the rotor will be warped again if you don't address this item.

These vehicles were particularly hard on front brakes. Poor design as far as I can see.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

That might be more true of the more high-end brands, but I HAVE had more than not needing to be turned of even the best replacement rotors AND drums! I recommend it anyway, it is still cheap insurance! Besides, its worth the money having it done BEFORE the labor is spent putting them on to only have to take them off again! No since in taking a chance and doing a job twice when one small precaution can be taken!

Reply to
Shades