Help with 84' Chevy 1500 Trannie

I have a 1984 Chevy 4WD, 1500. Auto transmission. I've never had any problems with the truck except for normal maintenance.

When I pulled from the house today the transmission when it started to shift felt like it was slipping. After about 4 miles when going up a hill I heard a 'pop' underneath and then lost power.

It had no forward but I could go in reverse.

I looked at the linkage and all appears to be working alright.

That's when I noticed a leakage coming from the left side of the bell housing.

A check of the fluid indicated that it was low and I put more fluid in (level ground).

It still would not engage in forward..it would engage in reverse.

Question: Does anybody know the type of transmission that is used on this truck in case I have to get another one?

Could it be just the torque convertor?

Is there anything else I can do to check it out except for dropping the pan on the trannie? (I know it's an old truck but I've had it a long time and I like it and take care of it.)

Thanks for any input or advice.

Josh

Reply to
josuha1954

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

please...............

don't feed the fish................

(but they look hungy...)

don't feeeeeeed the fish.......!

(i'm feedin them)

don't...........!

(i'm gonna)

Don't !!

(here it comes)

NO ! ! ! ! ! ! ........DON'T FEED THE FISH !!!!!!

A T T E N T I O N : : J O S U H A (aka the OP) Call EVERY tranny shop in a 150 mile radius. Carry the truck to the shop you trust most for warranty, quality, and customer satisfaction.

never mind the cost........ work it out.

cuz..................

YER FK'D !!!!!!!! YOUR FREEK'N TRANNY HAS TAKEN A SHIT !!!!!!]

~~fact,not fiction~~

~:~ MarshMonster ~drops a fresh shroom in the boiling water............mmmmm...... now there's some bait~ ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

=========== ===========

please...............

don't feed the fish................

(but they look hungy...)

don't feeeeeeed the fish.......!

(i'm feedin them)

don't...........!

(i'm gonna)

Don't !!

(here it comes)

NO ! ! ! ! ! ! ........DON'T FEED THE FISH !!!!!!

A T T E N T I O N : : J O S U H A (aka the OP) Call EVERY tranny shop in a 150 mile radius. Carry the truck to the shop you trust most for warranty, quality, and customer satisfaction.

never mind the cost........ work it out.

YER FK'D !!!!!!!! YOUR FREEK'N TRANNY HAS TAKEN A SHIT !!!!!!]

~~fact,not fiction~~

~:~ MarshMonster ~drops a fresh shroom in the boiling water............mmmmm...... now there's some bait~ ~:~

If it is a overdrive tranny its a 700r4. 84 may or may not be a 28 spline input wit aux. valve body and a wire going to passenger side servo. If it is you are double screwed. Dont bother with a rebuild. Of course if it has been in there since 84 its probably not a 28 spline 700R4, woulda died long ago. Regardless of what tranny you got sounds bad, take it to a shop. Make sure you ask them if its a 28 spline, if it is find a 30 spline. 88 and up K case are the best.

Reply to
David & Robin Johnson