1984 Chevy 1500 Transmission help.

I have a 1984 Chevy 4WD, 1500. Auto transmission. I've never had any problems with the truck except for normal maintenance.

When I pulled from the house today the transmission when it started to shift felt like it was slipping. After about 4 miles when going up a hill I heard a 'pop' underneath and then lost power.

It had no forward but I could go in reverse.

I looked at the linkage and all appears to be working alright.

That's when I noticed a leakage coming from the left side of the bell housing.

A check of the fluid indicated that it was low and I put more fluid in (level ground).

It still would not engage in forward..it would engage in reverse.

Question: Does anybody know the type of transmission that is used on this truck in case I have to get another one?

Is there anything else I can do to check it out except for dropping the pan on the trannie? (I know it's an old truck but I've had it a long time and I like it and take care of it.)

Thanks for any input or advice.

Josh

Reply to
josuha1954

'84 should be a 700R4 transmission, later to be known as the 4L60. It is safe to say that you need internal repairs, or a replacement trans. Dropping the pan would just confirm this, the damage is most likely done.

Reply to
Certainly

Hi.. Thanks for answering..

Reply to