leaking oil filter adaptor

Looks like the oil filter adaptor is leaking on my truck. Looks easy enough to fix, if I could find the parts, but haven't had any luck. Is this 'O' ring/gasket a dealer-only item?

1991 K-1500 350

Thanks

Reply to
Retiredff

Shep

Yep. No luck.

Reply to
Retiredff

We did my kid's blazer with the dealer parts.. was about $80 with adapter plate, hoses, seals, etc.... The "O" rings should be pretty common size/type... you need to take one in to a parts place... I think my kid found a set at Kragens.. (checker, whatever) If he still had the truck, I'd do it with better hoses and fittings made up by a machine shop next time... YMMV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

That's where I had to get mine. Around $10 I think. Napa had no idea what I was talking about.

2 bolts, pull adapter, removed died out o-ring, cleaned recess, installed new o-ring and remount adapter. No problems since. Drove almost 1000 miles next day to Indiana.
Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Appreciate the info.

Reply to
Retiredff

Thanks for the step-by-step. Right in line with what I was seeing.

Reply to
Retiredff

I purchased the o-ring gasket kit from advance auto for 0.99.It came with 4 small o-rings and (1 large o-ring and a small flat gasket that goes inside the mount to block.If I didn't have the kit I would not have known about the flat gasket because the orginal was almost destroyed.Just thought you would like to know.Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Reply to
Retiredff

Was there enough clearance to get to it or did you have to remove the engine mount and jack up the motor? I can barely get my hands up to it.

LS

Reply to
LS

I replaced the gaskets at the block, and took the aluminum lines out. Cut the swedged portion off, used a 37 degree singleflare tool and went with AN -8 fittings and stainless braided hoses.

Entire setup cost me just shy of $100-- but I had to buy the 37deg flare tool which I needed anyway. So for the price of the replacement OEM parts I made it more durable, and next time it fails

Reply to
burntkat

Reply to
Retiredff

Taking the front wheel off helped us a lot.. pulled up the mud guard/inner fender and taped it out of the way..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

My inner fender guard fell of a while back so I have a direct view from the side and the adapter is nowhere to be seen. It is so hidden back in there I'm not sure how to get to it, let alone get a wrench on it.

LS

Reply to
LS

The first time I had mine done ($195 labor and parts, ick) they replaced it with a redesigned model. The hoses are fine, but the gasket to the block is where it's leaking now.

Leaves a puddle about 5" round every time I park it.

LS

Reply to
LS

Just crawled under my 91 S-10 4X4 and it's oozing just a bit..Gonna need to pull off the torque convertor cover and perhaps the transfer shaft (?) also to get access to it...Ken

Reply to
ken

Do think we can pull the motor mount bolt and jack the motor enough to get access to it?

Reply to
LS

I did just that on my '91. Of course, I also have a 3" body lift so I did most of the work from the side...

Reply to
SBlackfoot

Pain in the arse, but just enough room...

Reply to
Dirty White Boy

Changed the remote hoses a few weeks ago (one was starting to leak) and yep, I pulled the thru bolt and raised the motor a bit. made it a lot easier

The newer blazers (93's+) have an additional support rod near the mount, perfectly situated to get in the way of everything

AND now I see that the adapter O-ring is leaking..DUH! should have changed it too

Reply to
ken