Help! Rear cargo door won't open on Suburban

All,

I have a 1996 K2500 Suburban that has the barn-style rear cargo doors. When pressing the unlock button on the remote, or even the one in the burb, you can hear the rear door unlock. The right door will open, but the left door will not open using the handle. I understand that the lock cylinder is in the right hand door, so the door isn't locked. Also, when using the key to unlock the door, the right door will unlock, but the left door will not open.

Is there a way to open the left door without damaging the trim on the door? It seems that the connecting point between the handle and the latch has come undone. I could drill out the handle, but I don't know what is on the other side.

I have the CD set called SI2000, but have to use the 1999 suburban to get detailed information about diagnosis.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this figured out, or I'll have to take it to the body shop or dealer.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
William F. Yehle II