No Brake Lights!

Help! New (to me) '93 suburban w/ otherwise pretty unmolested electrical system...but i just noticed the brake lights aren't working. I've tested the pedal switch & it's good. I've checked the leads at the tail lights w/ a test light & could not find ANY signal coming from the brake switch. Guess I'm looking for any (or all) of the following:

  1. A good wiring diagram for a '93 Suburban 1500, 4wd, etc.
  2. A component locator to accompany item #1
  3. Information as to how the signal from the pedal ultimately hits the lights....via relay & through the turn signal switch, yes? If so, where's the relay?
  4. Other pointers, tips
  5. (related to #4) if it's the turn signal switch that's bad, a) how do I test it & b) what's the best way to remove it (I'm assuming the wheel comes off & all the wiring slides up after it...yes?).
  6. Comiseration, sympathy, etc. for having such an otherwise nice truck w/ no darned brake lights!

Thanks in advance.

-chris

Reply to
clunfler

Shep

Chris,

This may seem silly, but double-check that no fuses are blown. Something similar happened on my K5, except I had brakes but no parking lights. Every time I turned on the lights, the fuse popped. I had to end up cutting the lead wire midway between the the front and rear wheels to isolate it to the rear or front of the truck, but it wasn't a difficult fix. It turned out that the lead wire had rubbed itself raw over the gas tank and was grounding out there.

If it is a short, and it's in the same relative location, it might be easier to snake a new wire up and over the tank than to pull the harness and repair that one spot--it was in my case.

Good luck, and as always, let us know what the fix is. You never know when someone may wander into the group with the same problem.

~jp

clunfler wrote:

Reply to
Jon R. Pickens