Oil Cooler Hose Write-Up?

I need to replace the oil cooler hoses in my 2001 S10 ZR2 (they're leaking) and found these on eBay. I went to Schucks and looked at their Haines manuals but I couldn't find any mention of them anywhere on how to replace them. Is there a write-up somewhere so I could do it myself and save some money? Is is that hard to do?

Link to the hoses:

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Well, I just party answered my question. I found this write-up which says you can remove the oil cooler and hoses altogether...which would permanently solve the whole leaking hose issue - which they supposedly do on a regular basis. It suggests switching over to synthetic oil, which I was planning on doing anyway.

Anway, if someone that knows what they're doing (it's obvious I don't) would please look at the write-up and tell me if this is a good idea. Also, where do the other ends of the hoses connect to? It doesn't say anything about that.

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

I have a 5.7 L and when they put in the new motor they did that too, Mechanic said it is just something to leak and they don't put them on to many vehicles any more I also run mobil 1 in it.

Reply to
Jeff

If your truck is a 4x4, it will be next to impossible to get an oil filter in there if you perform that modification.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

"If your truck is a 4x4, it will be next to impossible to get an oil filter in there if you perform that modification."

Thanks, Ian. I just figured that out myself actually. I started looking around and it pretty much looked not-doable. So I took it to my mechanic and he told me the same thing. 4x4 models have to have the oil cooler in place, it's not something that can be easily bypassed. The eBay seller with the hoses was not able to tell me if they are the GM upadated ones that don't leak. So I'll just have my mechanic order the newest version (he said they've made 3 different updates) and have him put them on. It'll run me about $300 total. Oh well. I read on automotiveforums.com that there have been no leaking issues on the updated hoses...yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for everyones help.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Reply to
Jeff

"You can do it my 89 k1500 had the oil cooler lines removed with no change in filter location, I believe the mechanic plugged the holes with some brass plugs or something haven't looked to close to be sure."

My mechanic told me exactly what everything looked like without even looking at my truck. He said he's done at least a dozen cooler hose replacements. He told me there's no way to bypass them because all the engine oil goes through the lines via the oil filter. Of course, I'm no mechanic, but from what I saw under the hood it made sense.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F

Reply to
Jeff

You have a different vehicle. Even though your truck has oil cooler lines, the oil filter is not "remote". It still sits right by the engine block. So in your case, it's simple to remove the oil cooler lines, and install plugs in the holes that remain in the existing oil filter adapter.

The other poster has an S/T truck. There isn't enough room between the engine and the front differential to be able to get an oil filter in there. Which is why these trucks have cooler lines coming from the engine block, up to a remote oil filter mount....then another set of cooler lines that head on up to the radiator. Even on the older S/T trucks, the filter had to be remote because of the space restriction...so there were hoses that went to the remote filter, but no further hoses that went to the radiator. GM just needs to get their act together on the hoses they supply.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Which is why these trucks have cooler lines coming from the engine block, up to a remote oil filter mount....then another set of cooler lines that head on up to the radiator."

Yep. This is my exact setup.

Tony

Reply to
Tony F