My nicked workshop manuals turn up on ebay

Now the regs who've been around for a while may vaguely remember me lamenting the fact that two volumes of extremely rare Lancia workshop manual went missing from the boot of my first Dedra Turbo whilst I was in the office paying for it. I got the Police involved and everything.

Guess what's turned up on ebay? Yep, the manuals. Guess who's selling them? Yep, the garage where I bought the Dedra.

Here's the ebay item:

Luckily the "winning" bidder is the TDC of which I used to be a member, so I contacted them and went back to the police and they went over to the garage, who showed them the manuals and his copy of the bill of sale for the car which had no mention of the manuals, so the police say there's no case and I'd have to take up civil court action.

Why would I have caused such a fuss if I hadn't been led to believe that the car and the manuals were sold together? The bill of sale says "sold as seen" and the car was seen with the manuals and I clearly remember the salesman telling me I could have the manuals with the car. Also, all members of staff at the garage denied any knowledge at the time when I noticed they'd gone. They didn't help the Police when they visited a few days later, saying there was no evidence. Why did they leave it almost three years before trying to sell them?

I just want justice done really, I no longer have any need for the manuals but if I get them back, I'll give them to the TDC for free.

These are the thieving gits by the way:

fishman

If you were a nasty, unscrupulous[sp] young man, you might be tempted to do something that might cost them the £163 pound they made from selling the manuals. I mean, I dunno, but you might key a few of their cars or summat? If you were naughty, like...

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

Just paste their email address to a few newsgroups

like this snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk

or snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk

etc

Reply to
Ronny

Or even snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk you can tell a good website as they have send email address going to a different address then the contact one, tossers :)

Reply to
Ronny

Wankstains!

snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk

Reply to
[-=Dan=-]

Take up the civil court action, it will cost you IRO =A340 to bring a small claims case.

You may point out that the club you are a member of has been looking for these for years.

You may point out the "sold as seen" on your bill of sale which was a major contributor to you handing over the cash.

You may describe how the garage insisted that they had no knowledge of these manuals yet later sold them on ebay.

You may force the salesman who sold you the vehicle to lie under oath*

You may find a sympathetic court who will award you the manuals.

You may just be wasting your time, but I guarantee you it'll cost them more than the =A3163 would if they were to hand over the manuals NOW. They might need to have that explained to them in words of one syllable, but that should get them to change their tune.

If you want results you've got to play the game, and taking them to court 3 years ago would have been the thing to do. The way they denied all knowledge but blatantly sold them on later on will count in your favour.

Court is as satisfying as arson or vandalism would be, and still leaves room for the latter two if the former doesn't work...

*or they could admit their wrongdoing, but lets stay realistic...
Reply to
markocosic

"[-=Dan=-]" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@wakefield-car-sales.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk

It would really be a shame if a spam bot got a hold of the above addresses.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

You mean snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk or is that snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk or snipped-for-privacy@lycos.co.uk?

Reply to
DervMan

I'm going in the morning to the Staples over that way I'll check the Merc 230 Kompressor for scratches. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

how about a drive by brake fluid bombing.

Reply to
JohnR

Maybe we could all register some fake eBay accounts and watch for their forthcoming auctions. Then we all bid; not pushing the bidding up to mental and obvious piss-taking levels; just outbid the legit bidders to make sure we win. And then not pay of course, and laugh at his eBay fees...

As a seller, I would never condone such action of course...

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Seconded.

is the way to go !

Reply to
Nom

you don't do that, you put it in a water pistol and ride past in a motorbike firing wildly :) the nastiest thing to do though is to put some expanding form into each and every wheel you can find, do it on a Saturday night and by the time they find them on Monday morning, this stuff would have set ROCK hard I've put brick together with this stuff and the bastards don't come apart again :)

that's been on there for about 4 years now, and apart from the expansion that moved the brick, it's like it was set in stone if you really wanted to spoil their even, that's what you'd do

not that I'd condone that sort of action mind ;)

Reply to
dojj

Would it work at a show if you applied it early enough?

Reply to
DervMan

Dervy, you sabotaged your OWN KA!

Reply to
fishman

Absolutely sod-all you can do about it.

You have no proof either way, and, as the police don't think there's been a theft involved, you're highly unlikely to get a civil claim against them.

All they need to do is produce the invoice for the car, and the case in closed.

If the manuals were that rare and important to you, you should have ensured they were documented on the invoice - especially given that they were worth a significant proportion of the value of the vehicle.

Reply to
SteveH

Surely if it was an old Dedra, they were worth significantly MORE than the vehicle :)

Reply to
DanTXD

Unless he contacted the police before about it, and the police questioned the garage and they mentioned to plod that they'd never seen the manuals - that could be a different story.....

Reply to
AstraVanMan

He's right ya know !

There's nothing you can do really :(

Reply to
Nom

Just checked man-o-fish's original post, and he said that he got the police involved the first time around. This presumably involved the police getting in touch with the garage, and the garage denying all knowledge of those books, so maybe he will have a leg to stand on after all. That crime reference number could come in handy.

Reply to
AstraVanMan