Oil Pressure

Hi

I have an 88 Chevy Silverado 350 ext cab long bed. What is the normal operating oil pressure? The truck has a little over 200,000 miles on it and it still drives strong. Anyway, since I got it (I haven't had it for too long, only a couple of months) the oil pressure indicator reads off scale high upon start-up and stays there while driving. When it at idle and under normal driving conditions it pretty much stays off scale on the high side. I haven't hooked anything up to it or checked RPM or anything but everything sounds normal. After driving for a while (maybe 10-20 miles) when it is really warmed up, when I put it into reverse it dies and the oil pressure drops to around zero. I don't think it's just an indicating problem because when the key is on, it reads zero but as soon as the engine is running it jumps up to the high reading, and as I stated above, when in reverse it drops to zero. This only happens after it's been driven for a while and it is really warmed up. As soon as I take it out of reverse the pressure goes back to off scale high. After it dies out from being in reverse, I have no problem starting it back up. It fires right up and it'll be okay until I put it back in reverse. Right now it's just an annoyance but I was wondering if this could turn out to be a major problem and is there is anything that can be done with the differences in oil pressure so I can keep in a mid range. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks

Reply to
Frank Thompson Jr

Shep

SnoMan