Pads and Rotors

I have a '99 Bonneville. In May or June 2003 I replaced the front pads and turned the rotors. They worked great.

Today, at the tire shop,the mechanic shows me these grooves on my rotors. He mic'd the rotors for me, they were out of spec and need to be replaced. This guy only sells tires so I don't think he is BSing me to make an extra buck.

The grooves are not small, rivet kind from a worn pad. The pads are not even halfway worn. These groves start on the edges of the pads and are as thick as the pads themself. Why did my rotors get grooves? The guy at the machine shop where I had them turned said that the are in great shape and could be turned a couple of more times. I put the pads on myself, always have and never had a problem with my workmanship.

Any ideas? What kind of rotors/pads shall I replace them with?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Strange about the groove! The rotor is not expensive consider that you are going to do brake by yourself. Don't buy the rotor or brake pads from Canadian Tire stuff. Get them from GM or try Auto Parts Extra for GM equivalent (AC Delco)

Reply to
Mnn

Here are the measurements out of a 95 Bonneville Book. Stock thickness: 1.260" Minimum thickness after refinish: 1.224" Discard Thickness: 1.209"

If they mic'ed thinner than 1.224 of an inch after you had them turned they should have been pitched. They also should of had no grooves in them after resurfacing other than that of a carbide cutter on a slow pass. If the grooves in them now were created by the pads you have on there you are okay. (That is if I understand correctly what grooves you are refering to.)

What I do is I get the Semi-Metallic pads that the guy behind the counter always says "eats up rotors" with the anti-squeal backing and then I buy the cheapest rotors. You can get cheap china made rotors for a bonneville at advance auto parts for $20-25 bucks each and wearever pads for $30. Compare that to the $80 some bucks each for rotors from the dealer. In my mind at that price I'd rather just buy new china made rotors rather than turning the old ones myself or getting them turned. If it was a non wear part or something I wanted to last I wouldnt buy china made. But since they all wear out the china ones will do. You might be able to have them turned once after the semi-metallic pads wear out.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Except the ones at the dealer don't warp quite as easily as the ones made overseas.

Reply to
clevere

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville