Racor Aux Fuel Filter on Duramax

Greetings,

I recently added a Racor 660 auxillary fuel filter unit to my '04 Chevy

2500HD with the Duramax diesel. It uses a 2-micron filter element (R60S) and is tapped into the line between the tank and the motor. It also has its own water seperator built in. The element is taller with a larger diameter than the stock filter.

Question for anyone who uses this filter unit and/or element - how often do you change this element? Do you change it when you change the factory fuel filter or more often?

I understand that the new stock filters specified by GM are also 2-micron, and they can be used on the '04 and earlier Duramax diesels as well with no modifications. Now that I have added this second filter unit to my truck, by the time the fuel passes through both and reaches my injectors it should be pristine. I'm hoping this helps head off any injector problems.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Hello Jonathan,

Frequency of change all depends on the quality of your fuel source. General rule is the finer the filtering, the more often the replacement. You will find that the 2-micron stock filter downstream from your Racor will remain cleaner MUCH longer than before. You might consider the cost of replacing the stock versus the Racor element and perhaps decide to use a 10-micron Racor element instead. Be careful with the plastic water drain valve -- it can break easily (metal replacements are available). Good choice. Good luck.

Franko

Reply to
Franko

Thanks for the positive feedback. An aux fuel filter has been on my want list ever since I bought the truck (and learning just how much new injectors cost!) and after much reading I decided the Racor was for me. It went in very smoothly, minus about a quart of fuel I lost when I tapped into the main line from the tank to the motor. The unit I got came with a 10g steel rock guard and mount, which should keep things fairly well protected. Since I am always looking for something better, however, if you could steer me towards where to find the metal replacement drain valve I would be very appreciative.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

You should be able to order it direct from Racor at 1-800-344-3286.

Warren Post Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras

Warren Post