Re: 1985 S10 Blazer 4WD questions

Finally got my tax returns back a week ago and needed to get a car,

> me and my wife had settled on an older used SUV since it would have > room for the family and have cargo room to take up camping and stuff, > and I wanted 4WD for playing up in the mountains. > > So, I jump the gun and get an '85 S10 Blazer 4x4 with the 2.8L V6 & 5 > spd manual tranny. > > After I get the truck, I get told by virtually everyone I talk to > that I should get rid of it, because the 2.8L V6 is a piece of junk, > and they have a habit of blowing out the lower half on the engine. > Wonderful. > > Now, it's in the shop because it needs a new clutch and rear main > seal. The mechanic told me I most likely would not need a new > crankshaft, main bearings, or whole new motor (as another mechanic > told me I would) since the motor is still running pretty strong right > now, but it's leaking from the rear main seal and has gotten oil on > the clutch so it's slipping bad. > > I'm having the repairs done for now since it's the only vehicle I > have. My tentative plan (if it's even possible) is to build another > engine up as money allows and then swap out the 2.8. > > My friends all tell me not to do it, just get something else. > However, call me a freak, but I like the body style of the S10 Blazer > and would like to keep it and fix it up real nice. > > Is it possible to put in something like a 4.3L V6 to replace the 2.8, > without having to hack apart the engine bay? If not, are there any > other motors I can put in that will fit and have the correct mounts? > > Also, what else am I likely to have to replace to do something like > this? Transmission, transfer case, differential? > > I'm not terribly knowledgeable about cars, been a long long time > since I've done any mechanic work... I have a few friends that would > be willing to help me out with doing the work, but none know if > there's anything I can put in that will fit, have the correct mounts, > etc.

You have lots of options at this point. There is the option of swapping in a 3.1 or 3.4 motor (my understanding is that the 3.1 is virtually plug and play). If you move to something else, you also have to change the transmission. 4.3 = new transmission If you are going the extra distance to do the 4.3, you can put a 350 small block in with not much more effort. No modification to engine well needed for either 4.3 or 350. 350 and 4.3 will also require new hoses and radiator, as if my memory serves me correct, the hook-ups are on the opposite sides. New shocks for sure up front with a

350, though with the motor out it's a piece of cake to change them. Explore your options at
and
Both are outstanding resources for anythingrelated to the S-series. If you are thinking about anything, 99% likelyhoodsomebody on one of those two forums has done it and can tell you all thetricks and what to avoid. Big Chris
Reply to
Big Chris

I would suggest that you look for a late 88 or 89. As they have the 4.3 which is a better engine than the 2.8. With the 4 wheel drive the truck is so heavy that the 2.8 is way underpowered. The 4.3 is also a 4 bolt main engine. I have an 88 with almost 250,000 miles on it and its still going.

Reply to
Brett Hayes

I bought a 1987 S10 Blazer with a 2.8L V6 for my daughter when she was in college (43,000+ miles on it). It now has 210,000+ miles on it and the engine is going strong. The only major repair was a tranny overhaul at about 190,000 miles because my SIL messed with it and screwed it up. This vehicle does not get babied by any means and is regularly driven on long (over1000 miles) trips up and down the East coast. The only regular care this vehicle gets is oil and filter changes (and chassis lubes). I think it depends on the owner (or someone like me to make sure it gets serviced when it needs it). I've seen quite a few of these same vehicles with the 2.8L go for many more miles than people predicted.

****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveninces attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~
Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
Charles Elkins

This site has more info for the 4x4 type of mentality. Unless having your frame an inch of the pavment is your thing.

d.perry1966

[SNIP]

Lol, not really my thing, no :) I bought this instead of a cavalier sedan (had a 93 cav a few years ago and loved it) because I wanted something to take up to the mountains and play with :)

Reply to
Zulummar

What part of the world do you live? I've got an 82 with 2.8 and 700R4 2WD that's still runs great and rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. The only problems I had was everything hooked to the 2.8 gave me problems, i.e. carb., dist., fuel pump, etc. If you live near Frederick Maryland, it's yours if you want it. Still runs great and I will not go back to a 2.8 after driving the 4.3. All you have to do is put your oil pan on it for it to go right in. Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Jones

Thanks for the offer, but I live on the completely opposite coast... Oregon :)

Reply to
Zulummar

Reply to
boogieman

Well, as I understand it, it's not so much the motor that's the problem... from what I've been told, they didn't do that bad in the 2WD S10 Blazers, but the added weight of the 4WD is just too much for the little things...

Reply to
Zulummar

problem...

things...

bulloney

Reply to
DJ Hatt

Reply to
boogieman

Oh, I'm not arguing that they're good trucks, I know they are, that's why I bought mine... I'm just relaying what I've been told about the engines on them... the more I hear, the more it seems like some of them had no problems at all, while others had nothing but problems... I don't yet know which mine is going to turn out to be, other than knowing it's in right now getting a new rear main seal. I'm just planning on swapping out the 2.8L for a 3.4L as a project, and because I want a little extra power :)

Now the only thing I have to decide is whether I want to go from 2.8L carb to 3.4L carb, or convert to some flavor of fuel injection...

Reply to
Zulummar

I'd say that depends on how deep your pockets are. IMHO, on my truck at least, the carb was the weak spot. The ol' lady's '89 Blazer was a TBI, and it got better mileage than my carbed pickup even though it was heavier..

-- Old Crow '82 FLTC 92" Shovel 'Pearl' TOMKAT, SENS, BS#133, DOF#51, MAMBM ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 Chevy Certified Master Tech

Reply to
Old Crow

Drove my 1986 for 150K hard miles with tons of light off road use bird hunting and only had normal repair items required on it... sold it for Chevy Astro and put 180K on that V6. Keep the truck but do the maintenance.

Reply to
Carolina