Re: Old 12 bolt rear carrier help needed

Try Randy at

They are really knowledgeable, and their prices are reasonable too.

I am trying to help my BIL get his '64 PU back on the road. > It is an original 12 bolt in a '64 PU with a built 400 SBC > and a THM400 trans. We started out to replace a chewed ring > and pinion. Now that we have it disassembled, the news is > worse than we expected. We found the spiders are also shot > and the pinions gears have eaten the carrier. There are no > thrust washers in this one. It is a series 4 open carrier. > There doesn't appear to be any ready new open carrier and > spider set replacements around. My question is, other than > this particular vehicle, where would we most likely be able > to find a useable carrier including a new one. Or, is the > best bet a new Auburn posi carrier we can get for about > $328US. The answer to me is obvious since I am a proponent > of posi's behind healthy powerplants in light vehicles but, > again, this is for my BIL who sometimes squeezes a nickel > until it becomes a dime. > > Any hel or lines on a parts source for an OEM would be > appreciated. >
Reply to
Tim Long