is the salesman lying to me?

I took a 2004 C70 for a test drive today. When I took my hands off the steering wheel, the car pulled to the right. When I told the salesman about it, he said it was a European safety feature. Can this possibly be true? I'm in the US where we drive on the right side of the road :)

Reply to
ddog

Hi "ddog",

Where vehicles drive on the left, e.g U.K. but not continental Europe, cars may be set up to counteract the camber of the road which might lead to something like you experienced when such a car is driven on a U.S. spec. road.

However I'd take your salesman's story with the proverbial dose of salt. There are many other reasons for a four year old car pulling to the right. and Volvos imported by Volvo into the U.S wouldn't fit the salesman's description.

Have them fix the steering and test drive it again,................. if you're still interested.

Good Luck. Andy I. (nothing but Volvos since '58)

Reply to
Andy

If a car salesman's lips are moving, he's lying.

Reply to
Bob (but not THAT Bob)

"ddog" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

Never heard or read about inbuilt assymmetry in wheel suspensions in European cars making them pull to the right.

If it pulls to the right:

1) road surfaces are usually not flat but lower at the edges so water moves away. On a non-horizontal surface the car moves freely following gravity to the side where the surface is lower. So on a small road you might feel the pulling and it is ok. 2) If the right tire is underinflated, the car will also pull to the right. 3) On a wide road the slope should be very small, so pulling should not be felt.

I would not believe the salesman if he cannot support his statement with any kind of reliable source and keep my finger off this car. Regards Viktor, Europe

Reply to
franz47

yes, he is a lyer...why would the car pull to the right...into oncommig traffic??...make sure you advise his boss what a "great salesman" he has under his wing....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Is this at a Volvo dealer, if so contact Volvo Gothenborg, the man is a lyer.

Robert, The Netherlands Volvo 480, 850, V70-I,V70-II, XC90

Reply to
volvo480

That is utter nonsense. Run from that salesman and his car. Unless you were on a steeply crowned road or accelerating hard the wheel should stay centered.

Reply to
Roadie

Wow. I would have laughed in that guys face and then went to another dealer.

Reply to
tlr1000

Hard to say. What he said is wrong, though. On most roads, the wheel alignment should make the car go mostly straight hands-off.

JRE

Reply to
JRE

"~^ beancounter ~^" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

ddog is living in the US. Going right would make him end up in the ditch of the road. Viktor

Reply to
franz47

Newsbeitragnews: snipped-for-privacy@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com...

oh...well...never mind....

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

I would find a new salesman or a new dealer. Cars are supposed to go straight when your hands are off the wheel. This is assuming there is now crown in the road or ruts for the car to follow. Pulling to the right may be due to various problems, low air pressure in the front right tire, need for alignment (probably),steering rack needs work, etc. Most probably needs alignment, but you won't know until you get it fixed. HTH

Reply to
Dlee

Yes.

Reply to
blurp

Sorry, I mean Yes, the salesman is lying. He may not know what he's talking about so he's making things up but a car pulling in either direction is not a safety feature.

Reply to
blurp

Total BS

Reply to
John Horner

One explanation of this I've heard is, if you fall asleep at the wheel, you run off the road, not into oncoming traffic.

I guess it depends on how hard it is pulling to the right, and whether the right is the side of the road.

Reply to
doofy
Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Well, I've had a *lot* of Volvos over the years of various models, both RWD and FWD, and NEVER had one that pulled to the right when I let go of the steering wheel.

Reply to
c.fiedler
4) The car needs a 4-wheel alignment! A car pulling to the right all the time is a tell tell sign of this i think. Also tires wearing unevenly. Keep in mind though tires in the front on volvos tend to wear faster than on other cars. My s80 and my now s60 r eat though them depending on how i drive. If you do decide to buy the car get them to toss in a 4 wheel alignment for free. Maybe check that the steering wheel is centered properly when the wheels are stright. The price for this is $70.00 at my local dealer so it shouldnt be a big deal to them if your buying the car.

--

--------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 5 Web @

Reply to
Anonymous