squeak on reverse

Hi,

I have a 98 Chevy S-10 ZR2, with automatic trans. I commute about 80 miles a day, and try not to drive much, so it currently gets used about once a week, but I always make sure it gets driven at least 15-20 miles whwn out, so at least it gets fully warm when used. Anyway, lately I have noticed that when I back up, I get a squeak squeak sound that is proportional to wheel speed, i.e. when I speed up, it squeaks faster. It also seems that sometimes in reverse, the truck doesnt exactly want to go as well as it used to. MPG is the same as usual, forward power seems right. Everything looks OK (brakes do squeal in the rear), although I havent checked the level of diff oil in a while. I dont knwo what it could be, it almost sounds like if I was compressing and decompressing the suspension, but of course I am not, just driving in reverse. Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks very much,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

Try removing wheel covers--cheap, fast, and easy. HTH & good luck. sdlomi (If that stops the squeak, I'll send u my addy to send them to me!)

Reply to
sdlomi

Check your universal joints. They wear from going forward, in reverse it is a different wear pattern and hence the noise.

AP

Reply to
Alan