99 Blazer-- Water Temp Instantly raises in dead traffic, fine on the free way-- Is it the fan clutch?

99 Blazer, A/C, 4x4..161k

Cooling System Background:

I had the dealer flush the dexcool about 5000 miles ago. The dealer said there was some funky stuff in the radiator, and that I had made a good call getting it flushed. Sometimes I hear gurgling from the heater core. No wet passenger floor surprises so far, and the heat still works.

The Symptoms:

Driving through low-speed or no speed, city traffic, the water temperature quickly gets into the 230-235 degree range. When I get to highway speeds, the vehicle instantly goes back to normal operating temperature of about 190 degrees.

In my past S10 Blazers, an 86, and a 93, when things got hot, the fan clutch would firm up and you'd hear the familiar loud fan whooshing sound.

Not-so-scientific testing:

My roommate has a 97 blazer. I got both vehicles up to operating temperature... and mine beyond that to 230 degrees driving around the block a few times. His fan has a bit more resistance than than mine does when trying to turn the fan.

I'm fairly convinced the fan clutch is most likely the problem. What other elements in the cooling system could cause a consistent behavior like this?

Regards,

Lane Jennison

Reply to
Lane Jennison

Shep

Thermostat stuck open, Has it been changed lately ?

Larry

Lane Jennis> 99 Blazer, A/C, 4x4..161k

Reply to
Larry

Most likely not.. I've only had the vehicle since 153k.

If its stuck > Thermostat stuck open, Has it been changed lately ?

Reply to
Lane Jennison

"noones" wrote: > Thermostat stuck open, Has it been changed lately ? > > Larry > > > Lane Jennison wrote: > > 99 Blazer, A/C, 4x4..161k > > > > > > Cooling System Background: > > > > I had the dealer flush the dexcool about 5000 miles ago. > The dealer > > said there was some funky stuff in the radiator, and that I > had made a > > good call getting it flushed. Sometimes I hear gurgling > from the heater > > core. No wet passenger floor surprises so far, and the heat > still works. > > > > The Symptoms: > > > > Driving through low-speed or no speed, city traffic, the > water > > temperature quickly gets into the 230-235 degree range. > When I get to > > highway speeds, the vehicle instantly goes back to normal > operating > > temperature of about 190 degrees. > > > > In my past S10 Blazers, an 86, and a 93, when things got > hot, the fan > > clutch would firm up and you'd hear the familiar loud fan > whooshing sound. > > > > Not-so-scientific testing: > > > > My roommate has a 97 blazer. I got both vehicles up to > operating > > temperature... and mine beyond that to 230 degrees driving > around the > > block a few times. His fan has a bit more resistance than > than mine > > does when trying to turn the fan. > > > > I'm fairly convinced the fan clutch is most likely the > problem. What > > other elements in the cooling system could cause a > consistent behavior > > like this? > > > > Regards, > > > > Lane Jennison

My nickel is on a defective clutch fan hub. Classic signs of failure.

Reply to
SnoMan

It can run hotter with it stuck open but usually on highway not around town. This is a clutch fan cooling problem and nothing more. Year ago I had a old Jeep truck that did simularly and I replaced clutch fan and problem went away and never came back.

Reply to
SnoMan

Right On. Thanks for the input. I will repair it tomorrow and follow-up.

Reply to
Lane Jennison

My vote is on the fan clutch also.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Don Farr