Fishy smell when heater is on (Pug 306)

Our Peugeot 306 started getting a fishy smell last year when we had the heater on. It seems that its not there immediately (unless the engine is warm) and only lasts a few minutes (or we get used to the smell and can't smell it). The smell is very similar to the smell I get when I sniff the cooling water so I'm guessing the heat exchanger may have a leak. Water level isn't going down, and there's no signs of leaks in the car (and it smells fine during the summer, when the heater isn't on).

I'm not too fussed about it (need the car, its very inconvenient to get it into a garage, plus I'd prefer not to have to spend any money!).

Any ideas what it could be? I've changed the coolant and it made no difference (smell was still there in the radiator anyway).

Any simple solutions, and if not - what sort of cost I should expect to get it fixed (I assume a new heat exchanger + labour).

Thanks

David Hearn

You are right to suspect the heater matrix. Many cars need a full dashboard removal to get at it. You can solve the leakage problem by connecting the flow and return pipes under the bonnet so the heater is bypassed. (Eeh, I remember when only top of the range luxury cars had heaters- when I were a lad). DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Check the pollen-filter thing in the air conditioning; a friend's old Mondeo started to produce a really nasty niff through the air-vents a while back: turned out the pollen filter was the original(!) and it was full of accumulated icky stuff - it had then somehow got wet and was growing a nice culture of aromatic mould..... ugh!

Reply to
PJML

No aircon - just a normal hot air blower. Haven't seen any filters for the heating.

David Hearn

I'd guess at a slight leak at the heater matrix, maybe only when cold, then when you turn the heater on, the matrix warms and evaporates the leaked cooling fluid, causing a smell till it's dry. You won't notice the drop in level as it's so small. As long as the level doesn't start dropping too fast, and you can live with the smell, don't worry about it.