sub diff question

"93 K1500 Sub diff appears almost dead, clunking and banging when releasing brakes just before truck has come to stop. Truck has a "gov-nr-lok" LSD from factory. Suspect side gears and spiders finished.(side gear RH side noticeably spalled) My local dealer has a side gear kit on the shelf for only $675.00. Is it worth it to replace side gears or replace LSD assy? We have no requirements for LSD (street only) so could also replace with open. Economics factor into choice due truck age/use/expected remaining life (thirteen years young). Rolf

Reply to
Rolf

Shep

YOu could replace it with a new Eaton LSD (a bit sturdier than Eaton GovLoc and a HD option is some new truck too) and for a few hundred bucks less too. Also, a dealer is the last place you want to get diff parts at unless you have nothig better to do with your money.

SnoMan

Reply to
David Johnson