towing 4x4's

I'm moving about 1,500 miles. I have two S-10s, both are four wheel drives. I plan on towing one behind the other with a towbar. Other than making sure the radiator is covered well to keep road debris out, what else do I need to do to do this right?

Thanks much

Reply to
D.Murphy

Shep

Reply to
Mike Levy

I know it would probably be better not to. I don't know that anyone rents dollies however. I'm almost sure u-haul doesn't.

Stop. I'm not going to be driving 75. It would probably have to have something force it into gear wouldn't it?

Why would you want to do that? If it's lined up correctly it should be fine.

I'm positive you wouldn't want to lock the steering.

Yeah, I'd like to, but its only worth $2,500 or so, what am I going to do buy one?

Reply to
D.Murphy

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER LOCK THE STEERING WHEN 'FLAT TOWING' OR WHEN TOWING ON A TOW DOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Levy, I pity you if you have done that!!!

Pull the front driveshaft completely out. Unbolt the rear driveshaft from the pumpkin and secure it up...DO NOT remove it from the t-case! Make sure the e-brake on the towed S-10 works in case you have to disconnect and leave it for some reason. Leaving the rear driveshaft in place allows you to quickly make the vehicle road worthy if needed and also keeps the t-case sealed like no amount of tape can!

Air up the towed S-10 tires at LEAST to max recommended...a little more wont hurt at all especially if you have it loaded with stuff.

Lights on #2 and great brakes on #1 like Shep said and if #1 has an automatic, get it flushed and a filter change before you go. Also, run at least 10W-40 if not 20W-50 in #1 for the trip.

Stop and check the connection between the 2 at least every other rest stop or every 1-2 hours...sounds like allot, but it beats the alternative.

Reply to
Shades

Reply to
Shep

u-haul here in n.c does, guy next door just rented one a few months back.

Reply to
Charles H.

NEVER lock the steering on a flat-towed vehicle.

put the tcase AND transmission in neutral, and it should be fine.

if you can find something to seal against the tcase output for the rear shaft without interfering with the shaft, you can remove the rear shaft and tape said object in place after THOROUGLY cleaning the transfer case output housing and the object in question, and then use high quality duct tape all around the object. Leave tcase in 2Hi in this case. This will avoid any possible problem. Front shaft really isn't a concern as the disconnect system will allow it to freewheel unless youhave a locker up front.

but why not just rent a tow dolly for $100 and tow it behind the moving truck?

Reply to
burntkat

great idea about securing the shaft up against the body. Hadn't thought of that. If he does it WELL, it's the best way to go.

Reply to
burntkat

Uhaul most certainly DOES rent tow dollies.

I've seen a small bump in a road drop a tcase from neutral into 4lo Took out the entire powerpack.

Do not, do not, do not lock the steering!!!!!!

Reply to
burntkat

I think, I'm not sure, but I think they are restricted to local rental.

Reply to
D.Murphy
Reply to
Maack

Hey, we can hear ya. No need to shout.

If you are using a modern tow dolly with an articulating deck, it doesn't matter whether you lock the steering or not. If you tow the vehicle with the rear wheels on the dolly, the steering wheel must be locked.

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Can ya tell I haven't done this? I do see now where the problem lies, I just didn't think one would want the steering wheels wobbling around. Forgive me for trying to be helpful, I'll go stand in a corner...

Reply to
Mike Levy

Hey guys, does ANYONE read the entire thread before posting? I got the point after the FIRST time, and the scalding continued for THREE HOURS. I can't imagine it took that long for the posts to propagate to the news servers.

Reply to
Mike Levy

Just ASK rental also rents them, I dont know if you would have one in your area, but they are usually inside of a TrueValue hardware store

Reply to
Adam Frazier

...and go to bed a half hour early...

Reply to
Shades

My brother is in the business of Renting U-Haul Stuff.. And U -Hall told Him To DESTROY ALL Dollies that are returned ..( CUT them up with a TORCH)

Reply to
no one

Put Both S-10's in the BACK of a U-Haul Moving Truck !

Reply to
no one