Cracked windshields.

What is it about GM vehicles so much that the windshields are so prone to cracking? An old buddy of mine was over here about an hour ago.His late model Chevrolet Impala (I think he said it is a 2004 or 2006, I don't exactly remember) and his car has a crack all the way across the windshield.I told him, That is the way it is with General Motors vehicles,,, cracked windshields.

My 1978 Dodge van has a chipped spot in the windshield where I assume a rock had hit it before I bought that van in 1989.My 1983 Dodge van I bought last September, the windshield does not have any cracks or chipped spots.My 1948 Willys Jeep windshield has a couple of chips, but that Jeep was all worn out (and still is) when I bought it for $300.00 a few years ago.My 1914 Ford Model T car windshield does not have any cracks or chips, I sort of kind of think it isn't the original factory installed windshield.But, it may be the original windshield for all I know. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

I've never had that problem, and I've owned GM vehicles my whole life. I've mainly had chips on most of my vehicles, but my '91 S-10 did have a small crack on the lower left drivers side that made a 90 degree turn downward only after we had a freeze and I turned on the heat. It might be the climate you live in causing it to crack.

Reply to
CEG

Did you ask him how it got cracked?!?! It didn't crack all by itself. And since his is cracked, then General Motors is "junk" huh! lol People like you "crack" me up! Crack. Get it

Reply to
twisted

Actually, I used to have a 2005 Impala and the windshield did in fact crack all by itself. One (cold winter) evening I parked it and the next morning it was cracked. No sign of impact anywhere along the crack, it looks like it started at the edge under the molding and worked in. I suspect the mechanism was stress caused by improper installation and/or body flexing, as later on, I picked up a bullseye on the highway and that did not grow/crack at all for the 20K miles or so I had the car after that.

Also, by the time I turned the car in, it (the replacement windshield) was horribly sandblasted...

I do wonder if there has been a change in the physical properties of windshield glass over the years as mfgrs. have made the glass a structural component of the vehicles. I certainly don't have as many pits on the windshield of my '55 Stude as I did on that Impala. Of course i have no idea of the true mileage of that car (shows 30- something thousand, who knows if it's 30 (doubt it) 130, 230, etc...

That said I have heard the windshield on my '08 Impala take a good whack from road debris falling off trucks ahead of me and bouncing off the pavement; no cracks yet. (touch wood)

nate

Reply to
N8N

For at least thirty years or more, I have noticed General Motors windshields are prone to cracking.I live in the Southeast, a mild temperate climate.We almost never get very, very cold Northern style weather here.

I did not say General Motors vehicles are junk.They are not junk.When General Motors starts building and importing made in China vehicles to America, then I will call them junk.I do realize General Motors builds some Buicks in China for the Asian market. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Did you ask him how it got cracked?!?! It didn't crack all by itself. And since his is cracked, then General Motors is "junk" huh! lol People like you "crack" me up! Crack. Get it

***** Au contraire, monsieur...They do sometimes crack by themselves.

Backlites can do it too. I have had it happen.

Reply to
HLS

I miss the aulden days/years.Those flat windshields, they would blind you when the Sunlight got just right.And people sitting and chitchatting on the running boards of cars and pickup trucks.And five cent soda pops and five cent candy bars

and ten cent comic books and double feature movies with Movietone news reels and cartoons, for thirty five cents. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

Maybe it's all of these cab forward car designs causing it.

Reply to
CEG

My old buddy is a big fan of General Motors products.Back in the 1950s he bought a second hand 1955 Ford car.He said he was telling some people Fords are the best cars in the World and he slapped the dashboard and the radio fell out.He once told me he knows a guy who bought a news Dodge pickup truck and the whole dashboard fell off. Of course, I don't believe any of that.I have known him since around

1954, we went to the same school.When he was over here this morning to give me my once every few months free haircut, (he won't let me cut his hair though) he said his wife bought a new Buick. cuhulin
Reply to
cuhulin

Like I said, that don't just crack. Something causes the glass to break.

Reply to
twisted

Like I said, that don't just crack. Something causes the glass to break.

All glass has peckmarks, even if microscopic, that serve as a point from which a crack can propagate. Some glass has a lot of stress molded into it, either due to failure to anneal or intentionally.

Safety glass of the type that breaks into thousands of nonsharp pieces are deliberately surface stressed.

Expansion due to heat or contraction due to cold, installation, etc can all set off the spontaneous cracking of glass. No abuse is necessary.

I have had it happen.

Reply to
HLS

Happens when you use Plexiglas to cut expenses...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

(I thought I was getting old...)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Meteorites...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

If you are going to drill a hole in rigid plexiglass/lexan/whatever it is, run your electric drill in reverse.Otherwise, the drill bit will crack the material. cuhulin

Reply to
cuhulin

If you try to drill through tempered safety glass, it doesnt matter what you use or how you do it. It will shatter into a gazillion pieces.

Reply to
HLS

Found this out when I was trying to make a custom 'smoked' plexiglas face/bezel for an old shafted radio. After going through half the stock I had, the guy at the glass place said, "Run cold water on it while you're drilling/cutting!"

Smooth as silk after that!

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B