Waterproofing 85' blazer

Hi, new to the 4x4 group.

My Blazer is bone-stock. I would like to find some info on waterproofing my truck, basically just for fun I guess. I've found some useful and extensive sources on the web for water proofing everything but my truck. Most of what I have found would work for my truck, but if I could get some input on weird things to water proof on my truck, maybe tips&tricks that people have had luck with it? I would just like to know that I didn't miss anything.....

Reply to
KJ

73blazer

Sorry, I forgot the entire run down. I'm usually pretty good about this.

1985 K5 Full Sized Blazer 305CUI TH700R4 203 T-Case

My previous post (that 0 people responded too) had all that info in the subject. I forgot to put that stuff in when I changed my subject and reposted (in a desperate attempt for a response...sigh)

Reply to
KJ

Well, since it's full size, I may be able to help....what exactly is your definition of "waterproofing?". Is it to be able to go fording through 4 foot water, or just to seal everything nice and tight?

KJ wrote:

Reply to
73blazer

If the answer is fording, then here are some suggestions:

Route all axle/trans/transfer vents up nice and high..I ran one hose down the driver's frame rail, starting at the back for the rear axle, gradually increased the size of the hose at each intersections (transfer case, transmission, front axle) and then ran the end hose (ended up at

3/4" id) up to the highest point in the engine compartment. Wrap your air cleaner with a good large pore (so it shed water and dries quickly) cloth material, or buy a snorkel kit if your really serious. The only other thing, that I should really do as well but just havn't gotten around to is making some nice mud/water dampers to loosely seal up the engine compartment...seal those front wheel wells to the frame rail, some front rubber along the bottom of the core support, etc...

Ken

KJ wrote:

Reply to
73blazer

4 foot is kind of mild, that's maybe the hood on a stock k5. But yes, fording insane depths of water.... keep the engine running while a normal engine would otherwise be 100% swamped and hydrolocked.

I'm guessing - air pump to keep the diffs with positive pressure, mayhaps the tranny and t-case too? Dielectric grease on the spark plugs both ends, how about sealing the distributor? I've read that sometimes fuel pumps have drain holes, breathers of some kind.... It has a clutched fan, should an electric be installed or just let it chew water? I've heard of some flexing forward and damaging the radiator.... Any wire harnesses to "Tupperware" into a sealed box? the usual tubes and stuff like that on all breathers, but are there any WEIRD (like fuel pump) things that I need to water proof? I'd also assume that fording is really hard on an engine, and very abnormal wear. How hard is this on an engine?

Reply to
KJ

look at it this way... you will be immersing a hot, precision machined chunk of cast iron in cold water...... it's very hard on them, especially your exhaust manifolds.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I have headers, but I can imagine the contortions that it would make an engine go through! Just wondering if there is anything special in this engine?

Reply to
KJ

Reply to
73blazer