Whaddya guys think?

Yeah, I saw a test where someone ran M1 5w30 up to (I think) 18,000 miles before they decided to change it out. The oil anaysis said it was still okay for a little while longer. That's insane. That's the test that indicated the oil got 'better' with it's age...

Mine was the 4.3 V6 - 2000 Blazer. I change the oil every 5K. The motor started to really lack power on the highway when it got up there in age. At 90K miles, it was burning almost a quart a oil change. At 95K miles, I started it one cold morning and thought a rod was going to come out the pan - I've never heard a motor rap so loud and stay together!

The stuff I was reading about was all in the GenIII motors. Mostly high performance (6000+RPM) LS1 stuff. Everything I've read indicated that 5w30 was generally too thin for heavy duty or high performance use.

I really gotta dig up that info... I read it a while back...

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

Anyone who runs 5W30 in an 8-cylinder at 6+K RPM is just begging for failure.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Doc

==== ==== Doc, I had the following site in an old file. It doesn't address your symptom, but the info fits this thread. I checked the link and it still works.

Engine Oil Filter Study Address:

Changed:3:14 PM on Friday, August 20, 1999

marsh ~:~

Reply to
Marsh Monster

So it seems like Wix or A/C Delco are the only way to go..... at least according to this dude....??? Tony

Reply to
Rokihora

I know alot of guys that run 5-30 full synthetic,in there race cars,over 7000rpms, and only run 4 quarts for max hp. I run 5-30 in my

383 and shift it at 6800rpms.
Reply to
Bill

Yeah, I know alot of guys who run the thinner oils on the track for faster

1/4 mile times.....................just doesn't sit right with me! Maybe I'm just old fashioned in that aspect...................

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Most racers don't expect their engines to last 100,000+ miles. H

Reply to
Hairy

Very good point.

Doc